Esteemed Contributor

Need Security Freeze Help,Please!

DH & I decided to put security freezes in place for the 3 major bureaus.We had no problem with Equifax or Experian.

The problem is with Transunion.They want us to open an account before they will freeze our credit!!. Was that your experience too? I would appreciate your help?Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Security Freeze Help,Please!

[ Edited ]

By going to the TransUnion site, click on credit Report Assistance, click on Credit Freeze, and click on Manage a State Security Freeze Online?

Respected Contributor

I was able to place a security freeze at all 3 bureaus for $5 each. I went to the Transunion site,  https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze  and followed the prompts. Hope that helps

Honored Contributor

My DH said he went to a government web site to do it.He isn't here right now or I would state exactly how he did it.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex @Goodie2shoes@deepwaterdotter I've tried everything including The manage a state tab & they keep telling me to create an account first. If anybody has any other ideas I'd sure appreciate it.How were you able to do it?   Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Maybe they require you to open an account in order to obtain payment for applying the Security Freeze?

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ. You are creating the account to set up the credit freeze. It will cost $5, and you will need to create a password which will be needed to unlock your account should you want to open a new line of credit. That's the only account you are setting up.

Respected Contributor

I did all three on the telephone.  Two went without a hitch; however, Equifax took two days.

Equifax:   1-800-685-1111

Transunion:  1-888-909-8872

Experian:  1-888-397-3742

FWIW, Transunion and Experian each charged my state's fee.  Equifax didn't ask for payment.  Also, I applied individual freezes at each site for DH and myself.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Last week, I called the toll-free numbers of all three credit bureaus and in a few minutes got freezes  set up at Experian and TransUnion just by punching buttons on the phone.  I'm supposedly going to get a postal-mailed letter in the near future confirming the freezes.

That whole process seemed too easy and quick to be real, so time will tell.

Equifax, however, sent me through all the phone button punching and then informed me that my request could not be processed and suggested I do it by postal mail. I don't know whether this response was because their computer servers are overwhelmed right now or what.  I gave up and will try again another time.  Lots of people are having trouble lately with Equifax.

In my state, freezes are free for seniors over 65.

None of these freezes, however, will protect anyone from having their credit card numbers or bank account numbers compromised.

Just because some crook can't  take out a loan or set up a new line of credit in my name does not mean my bank accounts can't be cleaned out in a heartbeat.  NO THANKS TO EQUIFAX!

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Oh so you've done it? Makes sense. What kind of info did you have to enter besides your ss#? Thanks!