Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help Getting Mother to Use Walker...Suggestions??

My fabulous, super stubborn aunt fell in her kitchen while using a four footed cane, and broke her hip. 

She he was riddled with osteoporosis, and in spite of it for some idiotic reason they attempted to mend the hip instead of replace it.

She forced herself into every rehabilitation activity she was given, only after 6 weeks admitting that she was in unbearable pain.

when she was finally X-Rayed, it was determined that the original repair hadn't worked, and she had to be returned to the hospital, where the hip was totally replaced. 

After receving a second round of rehab, she returned home and used a walker until she died from other causes.

Following her second surgery, she often said how much she regretted not using the walker BEFORE she broke her hip the first time.

In your situation, I'd see if you could find a walker user to TELL HER that she's MUCH BETTER OFF preventing another broken bone. Unfortunately, it sounds as though that's the direction she's heading in.

I sure can relate to the problems dealing with STUBBORN SENIORS!

Honored Contributor

Being a caretaker of a parent is really hard. They have always taken care of you and now the tables have turned.

"Once a man, twice a boy".

The hardest thing I ever had to do was take away my sweet Mother's car. The last time she drove it, she drove into another car at the grocery store and didn't even know it.

You have to put your foot down and be strong.

Respected Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

Being a caretaker of a parent is really hard. They have always taken care of you and now the tables have turned.

"Once a man, twice a boy".

The hardest thing I ever had to do was take away my sweet Mother's car. The last time she drove it, she drove into another car at the grocery store and didn't even know it.

You have to put your foot down and be strong.

@SisterGoldenHair, isn't that the truth! Oddly enough, getting her driver's license away was no problem. She hadn't driven in over 50 years. Our state came out with state ID (mainly for voting). It is virtually the same appearance as the driver's license. The man at the driver's license place just asked her if she still drove. She told him, "No," but said she always liked it for ID purposes. He suggested the State ID. (If I had suggested the ID, she would have gone into orbit!)

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

My fabulous, super stubborn aunt fell in her kitchen while using a four footed cane, and broke her hip. 

She he was riddled with osteoporosis, and in spite of it for some idiotic reason they attempted to mend the hip instead of replace it.

She forced herself into every rehabilitation activity she was given, only after 6 weeks admitting that she was in unbearable pain.

when she was finally X-Rayed, it was determined that the original repair hadn't worked, and she had to be returned to the hospital, where the hip was totally replaced. 

After receving a second round of rehab, she returned home and used a walker until she died from other causes.

Following her second surgery, she often said how much she regretted not using the walker BEFORE she broke her hip the first time.

In your situation, I'd see if you could find a walker user to TELL HER that she's MUCH BETTER OFF preventing another broken bone. Unfortunately, it sounds as though that's the direction she's heading in.

I sure can relate to the problems dealing with STUBBORN SENIORS!

@violann, I wish my mother would see the light like your aunt did! Why is it that we always finally "get it" with hindsight? Thanks for sharing your experience.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

@ChazzyLady.     I was going to mention Wrist strength is very important with any of the helpers!           My DDMiL.  Was very independent,  but she used the Walker in the house and wheelchair out and about.      Good luck to all of us if or when we turn OLD!    At least our Parents are still teaching us by the trials and tribulations that they are going through!!!        When we get to that slot in OUR lifetime, we will know HOW to BE a wonderful help in helping our family help us!!!!!!?      tedEbear

Thanks @tedEbear, definitely agree with you about learning from the trials and tribulations of others.  I fully accept the possibility that I may need to use a rollator or one of those motorized chairs in the future.  Too bad that some seniors see using these devices as detracting from being themselves instead of enhancing their daily lives. Actually, I think being foolish, vain, stubborn, and just plain difficult for the sake of being difficult with the ones trying to help you are character flaws that these people have had their whole lives.

Anyway, calling any and all investors who want to bankroll the research and development of my five-gear rollator, in race car red of course, and will definitely be sold on QVC! Smiley Very Happy