Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Gift Suggestions ---

Since @coffee drinker  mentioned SIL dislikes gifts that are not personal, the bracelet idea is great! They are widely available and can be personalized with a charm. 

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker  If she lives in a colder climate and walks or spends time outdoors, she might like one of the barefoot dreams scarves.  They are under $50 and very nice and I have two but am so tempted to purchase more colors since they are so nice and I wear them all fall and winter.  

A367497

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

If you know her favorite restaurant, get her a gift card and a menu to go with it.   She may prefer takeout from there on a day when she doesn't feel like cooking !

If she prefers going out for coffee, try a Panera gift card.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

--- for my SIL who will be turning 80.  She's not an "old" 79 year old and I apologize if I offended anyone with that word.  Anyway, she's kind of stylish, but not very outgoing. 

She'd be very offended if the gift was something for the house or kitchen.  She believes a gift is something for her, not the house.  I'd like to limit spending at $50.  Any good suggestions would be appreciated.  

Uber Eats gift card, can order food in from anywhere hooked up with Uber

stationary, more stretchy bracelets while lovely = more stuff to manage, as we get older who wants that 

Honored Contributor

Skip the gift cards, the food, the stationery and pens.  No perfume etc. unless you know what she wears but even then I'd bypass that-preferences change over time.

I like the suggestion of a nice silk scarf.  You probaby know her color likes and even some things she wears.  A silk scarf is alway classy, imo.

I also like the stretch bracelets if jewely is her thing but read reviews first.

Think personal for what you might like and extend out to what she would agree with for herself.

@coffee drinker 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

If she is hard to shop for I would give her a gift card to a place you know she likes to shop or dine (a Visa or MasterCard gift card can be used anywhere). I think your better off going that route rather than buying her a gift she won't like. 

Respected Contributor

My first thought was a wallet with a gift card to her stylist, but nixed the wallet and will probably do the silk scarf, as some have suggested, and a gift card to her stylist.

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker 

From your description of her? How about 50$.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut : Great idea. I have had dollar bills to total $50 but never The $50 bill. My 67 th birthday was 7/30 and a dear friend gave me the $50 bill. She was excited that she gave me something different. I just kept giggling and looking at it . Then asked: what ya going to do with it? Got her good when I replied : Probably put it in a frame- nope😀.

@hckynut wrote:

@coffee drinker 

From your description of her? How about 50$.

hckynut 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker wrote:

--- for my SIL who will be turning 80.  She's not an "old" 79 year old and I apologize if I offended anyone with that word.  Anyway, she's kind of stylish, but not very outgoing. 

She'd be very offended if the gift was something for the house or kitchen.  She believes a gift is something for her, not the house.  I'd like to limit spending at $50.  Any good suggestions would be appreciated.  

I'm a very young 80 also - and I have a big stash of Isaac Mizrahi's tops --mostly long sleeves - crew neck, mock neck and turtle neck. I prefer the 100% cotton - and I have many pima cotton. 

A385436, Isaac Pima Cotton Swing, Crewneck. I have this top in Orange Spice, Creme de Menthe and Whisper Pink. Just reduced to $29.77 + shipping.

I also just received A399807, Isaac Mizrahi Pima Cotton Swing Topper, $34.56 + shipping. This is a very good buy. I bought one for myself in blue lagoon --- and I'm hosting a traveller in the healthcare field - and I bought 2 of these for her. One in Royal Navy and the other in Black. She's only 29 yrs old - and she also loves them.

For sizing reference -- they're true to size. I'm 4'10", 130 lbs. and wear size Medium.

Do Not Put his Tops/Toppers in the Dryer.