Contributor

Need Feedback on Virus Precautions

I live in a small neighborhood. We have a group of four neighbors who walk and swim for daily exercise. We practice the 6 foot rule walking and swimming. One of our group is flying out to the mountains for a week of new sights. It's my feeling that when she returns, she needs to quarantine for 10 to 14 days. She, the traveler, disagrees. She feels like she can return home and step back in to the exercise group. Am I being too ridged by not wanting to be exposed to her after air flight and trip?

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Feedback on Virus Precautions

@Bannafanna I agree with you!  I think that it's being inconsiderate and selfish if she can't quarantine for two weeks in her own home...it's not like she's traveling and has to quarantine in another area.  

To tell you the truth I'm too afriad to go to an airport and fly now.  Just the idea of using a restroom in either the airport or on the plane makes me ill.  I missed going to Florida to see my 93 year ol mother in March and I have no idea when I can do so.

What do the others in your group think?

Honored Contributor

@Bannafanna, I totally agree with you, she would be putting others in jeopardy. I hope she reconsiders.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you are being prudent.  If the other members do not agree, you have also been given good information about them.

Esteemed Contributor

What do the others in the group say?  If they agree with her you just need to take control of your own life and avoid them for now.  You cannot control others behavior, only your ow.n

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

If she doesn't quarantine for 2 weeks, I would make darn sure I would not be anywhere near her for at least 2 weeks.  

The only person  you can control is you so YOU take care of YOU.  

I haven't flown in years and I sure as heck wouldn't be getting on a plane now.  NOPE. 

Contributor

The others in the group agree with me. We are all over 70 years old. We have limited our activities to minimize the risks of catching the virus.  Our neighbor, who is traveling, is attempting to live normal during a pandemic. I actually fear being around her because of her lack of precautions.

Honored Contributor

@Bannafanna Your fears are well founded. I'm 72 and you couldn't pay me to be anywhere near that woman, given her lifestyle.

If you and your friends continue to associate with her, well, you've been warned.

I would not and if asked, I would tell her exactly why.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know those who aren't following protocols don't think of themselves as selfish, but that's really what they are.  Okay, I'll say self absorbed if selfish seems too harsh.  Yes, it seems like the virus doesn't exist, BUT that little invisible bugger is out there just waiting to spread.  We never know who it's going to get and if it does get someone, how bad that person will get it. We have to do what we know what to do thus far to slow it down.  That means socially distance, wear a mask, wash hands, etc.  It also means that people have to quarantine for a couple of weeks if they've traveled other places.  If you travel from one of a long list of states to my state, you must quarantine for 14 days.  We suffered greatly in the beginnning and now our numbers are way, way down.  We want to keep it that way.  PROTECT YOURSELF AND STAY AWAY FROM YOUR FRIEND FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS WHEN SHE COMES BACK FROM HER VACATION.

Honored Contributor

I would just not walk for 2 weeks when she returns and be honest and unapologetic about what you are doing ONCE.

After that hold your ground, and refuse to gossip about it, talk about it, harp on it or give it discussion of any kind.  SImply say, "No, that's what I am going to do."