Valued Contributor

Need Advice Concerning UPS Delivery

I relocated 4 months ago. I advised every bill collector of my new address. Well, a month ago I ordered a rather pricey piece of jewelry from Macy's. The expected delivery date was said to be around June 20th, so I had not even begun looking for it until a couple of days ago. I looked at tracking and saw that it had been delivered to my old address on June 12th.  I am puzzled because I had changed my address on my Macy's account. Also, I would have expected the item would need to be signed for but I called Macy's and they said no, it didn't. So, I then called UPS to see what could be done. They said the item was dropped off at the gate of the house and all they can do at this point is send a driver out to talk to the people who live there now. Surely, I have some recourse in this matter...some kind of claim I can file to recover my $$$$.   

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice Concerning UPS Delivery

Did you receive an email when you placed the order from Macy’s, and what was the ship to address?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is going to be tough.  Hopefully the driver is able to get the package back since its been about two weeks.  You should probably check again that all places have your current address.

I moved 13 years ago and changed all my address everywhere.  I ordered something from eBay and it went USPS to my old address.  I caught it within a day.  My family lives in the old town.  I had my mother go to USPS and explain the situation.  They ended up sending the driver and the new owners have him the box.  They had opened it.  USPS reboxed it and sent it to my new address.  I found out ebay had several places that needed to be updated and I only updated one.  Not sure if that is still the case.

Trusted Contributor

You have no argument with UPS. They delivered to the address that was on the shipping label, and a “no signature“ package left them with no responsibility to ensure it was received properly by the named party.

You need to get back to Macy’s and persist in seeking credit or a re-ship to you. Changing your address on your billing records does not mean there is coordination with your shipping address. That should have been confirmed when you ordered and Macy’s (left hand) billing dept may not correlate to their (right hand) shipping dept. 

Maintain your complaint with Macy’s, fault them and make them come to terms for credit or getting the items replaced. UPS does not have any obligation to retrieve that package and get it to your new address if your old address was shown in the label. 

The shipper is at fault, not the carrier. 

Honored Contributor

Changing your address is a,ways a pain. Did you fill out a change of address at the post office? My sister recently moved and even though she did change of address with all places she gets bills from, she still didn’t get things on time or sometimes at all...when she filled the form out at the post office, it seemed to fix the problem
Esteemed Contributor

It is the buyer's responsibility to make sure, at point of purchase, that the item is being sent to the correct address.

Don't just assume that because you changed your BILLING address, that that automatically changes your SHIPPING address, because it doesn't.

The billing department has NO obligation of any kind to notify the shipping department of a change of address.

That onus is on the one making the purchase.

UPS can do nothing for you. They have fulfilled their end of the contract, which was to deliver the item that was on the package.

They did that.

The item did not require a signature upon delivery, so therefore, they didn't get one.

To expect them to get it back from the new tenants more than two weeks after it has been delivered, is very unrealistic.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
Changing your address is a,ways a pain. Did you fill out a change of address at the post office? My sister recently moved and even though she did change of address with all places she gets bills from, she still didn’t get things on time or sometimes at all...when she filled the form out at the post office, it seemed to fix the problem

I'm sure she did.  (Or at least I assume the vast majority of people do.  That's so mail sent to the old address will be forwarded to the new.  Address changes done individually take time to go into effect.)

But in any case, a change of address for the post office has nothing to do with UPS.  UPS will deliver to whatever address is on the shipping label, and that doesn't come from the post office.

Honored Contributor

I don't shop at Macy's, but every other place I do shop online - at checkout I'm asked to verify my shipping address.

I'm surprised Macy's doesn't do the same!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t know the amount of purchase that requires a signature, but you can request that a package be signed for if you pay additional shipping costs, in most cases. It seems if it was a pricey piece of jewelry, it would have needed a signature. I would not dismiss UPS’s responsibility in this too quickly. If it was purchased using a Macy’s credit card, you may have an easier time getting that card credited with the cost of the item. If you never received it, you should be charged for it. If UPS simply left this pkg at the gate of a house, it was not even given to anyone, so hopefully there is a camera or a ringer so the homeowner knows when someone or something is at the entrance gate.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I don't shop at Macy's, but every other place I do shop online - at checkout I'm asked to verify my shipping address.

I'm surprised Macy's doesn't do the same!

They do.

I just bought a towel and they do verify the address to where an item is shipped.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.