Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Advice Concerning UPS Delivery

I spoke with a supervisor with Macy's customer service dept. and once again explained the situation. I realize now that besides changing my account billing address, I also needed to change the shipping address. So, I take responsibllity for that. However,  I told the supv. that I felt Macy's should have required a signature for delivery and I wanted a replacement or a refund for my purchase. She said they couldn't do that. I am also surprised that UPS would just drop a package off at the gate by the road (a fairly busy road). Thls is a house that sits off 330 feet off the road - a good distance.  Anyone could pick that package up off the road. UPS also told me that Macy's used a third party shipper. I then said, "none the less, it is still Macy's place to request signature required for delivery".

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I don't shop at Macy's, but every other place I do shop online - at checkout I'm asked to verify my shipping address.

I'm surprised Macy's doesn't do the same!

@ALRATIBA.  Macys probably has an "address book" like QVC has that's seperate from account information and should have been changed when the order was placed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I spoke with a supervisor with Macy's customer service dept. and once again explained the situation. I realize now that besides changing my account billing address, I also needed to change the shipping address. So, I take responsibllity for that. However,  I told the supv. that I felt Macy's should have required a signature for delivery and I wanted a replacement or a refund for my purchase. She said they couldn't do that. I am also surprised that UPS would just drop a package off at the gate by the road (a fairly busy road). Thls is a house that sits off 330 feet off the road - a good distance.  Anyone could pick that package up off the road. UPS also told me that Macy's used a third party shipper. I then said, "none the less, it is still Macy's place to request signature required for delivery".

they delivered where they were supposed to.  Why don't you contact the people that live there now?

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

they delivered where they were supposed to.  Why don't you contact the people that live there now?

Yes I think that’s her only recourse now; hopefully they’re honest 😀

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Set up an account at ups.com. It doesn't cost anything.  You can also set your preferences for a number of things...where items are left at your house, email or text notifications of deliveries, etc.  

Go to Macy's account and pull up the actual order to see what the shipping address says.  If it's your new one, it would seem Macy's needs to fix the problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I doubt they're going to send the driver to talk to the people that have the package.  That doesn't seem likely.

I would file a dispite with your credit card company at this point.

Billing address and shipping address are two different things and need to be verified at checkout.

Honored Contributor

Did you order it on-line?  My guess, you didn't double check the shipping address before you hit the send button.

Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm a good goody, if I get a package or piece of mail that doesn't belong to me, I make every effort to make sure it gets to the proper person ( giving it back to the UPS driver or mailman). I can't in good conscious keep something that doesn't belong to me.

Honored Contributor

This is by no means a UPS problem, they sent the package to the address that Macy's gave them.  It's been weeks so I doubt that the UPS driver is going to approach the people in that house and basically accuse them of stealing the package.  No one would do such a thing.  You verified that UPS delivered the package but your problem is with Macy's.  They made the mistake.  If you can show proof that you changed your address with them, Macy's owes you a replacement or a refund.  You say you "advised" your creditors of your new address.  How did you do that?  Did you check your Macy's account to verify that they changed your address?     

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

Bad idea.  How would that conversation go?   "Hello, two weeks ago UPS left a valuable package on your gate.  It was not addressed to you and you did not purchase it.  Did you steal my package???"   I can only imagine the response she would get!  I'm surprised that Macy's wouldn't make this right for her but it was totally, 100% the customer's fault.  Macy's is not "required" to require a signature upon delivery.  Actually, it's buyer's responsibility to verify that before making an expensive purchase.