Regular Contributor

Re: Need Advice Concerning UPS Delivery

How did you pay for this piece of jewerly from Macy's? With AmEx, I can tell them the situation, they will dispute it for me with Macy's or whoever and I won't be responsible for the payment until the dispute is resolved. Most everytime my disputes ended with me not owing $ to the retailer or whomever. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I spoke with a supervisor with Macy's customer service dept. and once again explained the situation. I realize now that besides changing my account billing address, I also needed to change the shipping address. So, I take responsibllity for that. However,  I told the supv. that I felt Macy's should have required a signature for delivery and I wanted a replacement or a refund for my purchase. She said they couldn't do that. I am also surprised that UPS would just drop a package off at the gate by the road (a fairly busy road). Thls is a house that sits off 330 feet off the road - a good distance.  Anyone could pick that package up off the road. UPS also told me that Macy's used a third party shipper. I then said, "none the less, it is still Macy's place to request signature required for delivery".

they delivered where they were supposed to.  Why don't you contact the people that live there now?

I have contacted them and they say they didn't get it. I am placing the blame on the UPS driver for improper delivery. You have to understand that this is a home in a rural area. The house sits 330 feet off the road and the home owner had the big gate closed. The driver left the package on the ground by the gate. It could have blown away or easily been picked up by someone driving by. Macys delivery policy says that items delivered by UPS are taken to the door by driver who will ring doorbell, then leave package in a SHELTERED area. It also says UPS will put package in your mailbox if it fits. They could easily have put the package in the homeowner's mailbox, but, they didn't. 

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ship UPS daily.  This isn't UPS's fault. 

The shipper (Macy's) set the parameters of this shipment.  Macy's needed to tell UPS to get a signature - and Macy's would have paid more for this to happen, and so they didn't put a tiny check in that delivery option while creating the shipment. 

UPS delivered it to the address that was on the label that Macy's printed out - how is it their fault?

Macy's will have to go back to UPS and dispute - you weren't the shipper, so there isn't much you can do.  I would go back to my CC company and open a dispute with them, and they will go back to Macy's who will then go back to UPS.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sapphiregal  Start documenting your problem with written correspondence besides just phone calls. That way you have actual proof of who you've contacted, the date & a written response.  The poster who mentioned American Express also gave good advice if by chance that is how you paid.  They are good advocates for their credit card holders.  I know at Christmas time there was an epidemic of "porch pirates" in the NYC area stealing packages & American Express (and even Amazon) were very helpful in dealing with the situation.

Respected Contributor

I don't know that a signature would have helped you.  Anyone can sign the name, they  do not always check ID. I have signed for very expensive stuff my partner ordered from Apple and they did not ask me for ID.  Also he had Apple stuff stolen by someone at the UPS store signing for it.  They had to issue a replacement.  It sounds like this story will not end well.  If the person who received it hasn't attempted to get it to you by now it likely means they are keeping it. I have a friend this happened to. She went to the apartment and got in a huge fight with the person.  She did not get her stuff and it could have escalated to a fist fight from what it sounded like. Good luck, I hope it works out.  I once ordered something from Banana Republic and somehow the default ship address was my mother's.  I did not notice it upon check out and it was very annoying. So I can sympathize with you on that. We do things so robotically sometimes.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, whoever got your package most likely will keep it. I've had this happen to me several times but with USPS or SurePost.  Again, AmEx is great in resolving issues.

Honored Contributor

I got a packaged delivered by UPS, it was put in my door not by my regular driver. The address was mine, the name was no one I ever heard of. I called UPS's CS to have the packaged returned, I was told someone would pick it up, no one did. I called again and was told no one was ever scheduled to pick it up, as far as they were concerned the package was delivered properly, case closed! I ended up giving it back to my regular UPS driver when he delivered a package to me.

Esteemed Contributor

A signature means nothing, other than it was delivered.

WHere I work, UPS stops by almost daily. They knock on the door, and whoever answers the door, signs for the package, whether it's the name of the person on the lable or not.

What did you expect the UPS driver to do?

Did you expect him to climb the closed gate?

He delivered it to the address that YOU provided.

It isn't UPS's fault that you didn't double check the ship-to address before compleating the sale.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Sapphiregal . Different situation but I will share what happened with my daughter with UPS. She lived in midtown Atlanta in an aparatment. You had to have a key or press a button to call the office to get inside the building. She ordered an expensive game system. I believe from Amazon. UPS left the box on the steps of the apartment building. This is a busy street. It was left outside and of course it was not there when she got home. Long story short Amazon replaced the game because UPS left it out side. Only difference is that her package did have an apartment # on it. You have nothing to lose by fiiling a written dispute with UPS based on the fact that it was left outside of a gate where anyone could have taken it. It was not delivered to the door of the residence. The people that live in your former house may not have picked up the box. Anyone could have. You might try telling them that you are filing a dispute with UPS. Ask them if they would be willing to sign a statement that the box was not left at their door. Don't even hint that you think they may have your package. I have no idea how much this piece of jewelry costs but things happen. We all make mistakes. Even if you are out of the money just try to move on and don't agonize over it. You have learned a lesson. 

Valued Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I spoke with a supervisor with Macy's customer service dept. and once again explained the situation. I realize now that besides changing my account billing address, I also needed to change the shipping address. So, I take responsibllity for that. However,  I told the supv. that I felt Macy's should have required a signature for delivery and I wanted a replacement or a refund for my purchase. She said they couldn't do that. I am also surprised that UPS would just drop a package off at the gate by the road (a fairly busy road). Thls is a house that sits off 330 feet off the road - a good distance.  Anyone could pick that package up off the road. UPS also told me that Macy's used a third party shipper. I then said, "none the less, it is still Macy's place to request signature required for delivery".

they delivered where they were supposed to.  Why don't you contact the people that live there now?

I have contacted them and they say they didn't get it. I am placing the blame on the UPS driver for improper delivery. You have to understand that this is a home in a rural area. The house sits 330 feet off the road and the home owner had the big gate closed. The driver left the package on the ground by the gate. It could have blown away or easily been picked up by someone driving by. Macys delivery policy says that items delivered by UPS are taken to the door by driver who will ring doorbell, then leave package in a SHELTERED area. It also says UPS will put package in your mailbox if it fits. They could easily have put the package in the homeowner's mailbox, but, they didn't. 

Instead of blaming the right person, you, you are placing the blame on UPS?  WOW>