Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

This is one of the saddest photographs I've ever seen.  I think we all remember it.

They truly had a great love.

@Noel7- ITA, that one really affected me and just reflected such love and her deep sadness when she patted the coffin....I remember reading her lips as saying something like "it's all right now, Ronnie".  She preserved the President's dignity and privacy, she also brought awareness to care taking and always lobbied the WH on behalf of stem cell research for Altzheimers.  She was incredibly strong in the WH and after.  Now she is with her beloved Ronnie.  I was surprised she lived as long as she did after his death; it must have been so lonely for her. 

Honored Contributor

"I was surprised she lived as long as she did after his death; it must have been so lonely for her."  Stray

@Stray

I think she was able to carry on because she had things to do.  She had to go through his papers, give input on his library, and in general, see that his legacy was preserved.  I see her as that kind of lady Smiley Happy  She wanted everything finished and done in the right way.

Respected Contributor

C-SPAN did a fabulous series a few years ago called "First Ladies Influence & Image."  There was also a companion book that I purchased.  Wonderful series that spotlighted each first lady and how she supported her husband and his presidency but also left her own impression on our country.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

I'm so glad the news is crediting her for her support and perseverance in pushing for stem cell research.

Mrs. Reagan was ahead of her time with that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

"I was surprised she lived as long as she did after his death; it must have been so lonely for her."  Stray

@Stray

I think she was able to carry on because she had things to do.  She had to go through his papers, give input on his library, and in general, see that his legacy was preserved.  I see her as that kind of lady Smiley Happy  She wanted everything finished and done in the right way.

@Noel7- yes, I think it was her assistant they interviewed and Reagan's communications person...she was demanding and wanted things right but never in a mean or nasty way.  She called her assistant many times a day....but, those who worked with/for her spoke kindly about her.  And, she was an activist for altzheimers disease....I remembered how she chastised GW Bush about his stem cell policy😊.  He looked so sheepish...and she cared for her beloved Ronnie for years....I remember them saying, when he was hospitalized for pneumonia, she slept on a cot and never left his side and cared for him herself.  They showed a picture today of her quietly sitting by his grave 6/15 in a wheelchair, very pensive....maybe saying...I will see you soon Ronnie and I hope that is so....tho, she remained active, I think she must have missed him so much...

Honored Contributor

Ron Reagan Jr. spoke out about his mom on the Today show.  "She really knew how to love somebody."  He said Nancy was very lonely after Ronald died.

http://www.people.com/article/nancy-regan-dies-ronald-reagan-son

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

The woman had to be a pipsqueak!  Look at that waist!!  She never looked skinny, she is just SMALL, lol!  I notice her fashion choices were very classic, and timeless.  All the suits and dresses,( especially the evening gowns) could be worn today with a tweak here and there.if that. 

She was very small but she had a huge head for the size of her body.  Her clothing was very timeless. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

The woman had to be a pipsqueak!  Look at that waist!!  She never looked skinny, she is just SMALL, lol!  I notice her fashion choices were very classic, and timeless.  All the suits and dresses,( especially the evening gowns) could be worn today with a tweak here and there.if that. 

She was very small but she had a huge head for the size of her body.  Her clothing was very timeless. 

Except for those big, very dated, bows she is wearing in some photos that I commented about before.  I would agree with you about the gowns though.

Honored Contributor

Nancy Reagan Inaugural Gown Nancy reagan

This gown was exquisite.  I loved the hairstyle too.

Trusted Contributor

I love the gown and the hairstyle also. Very elegant. The long gloves, the whole outfit. Very nice.

RIP Mrs. Reagan.