Honored Contributor

Re: NY STATE TAXES

[ Edited ]

I pushed my issue with QVC and got no where with them.  I even reported them to the PA Attorney General's office.  I got a letter from QVC and one from the  AG's office saying there was nothing they could do. QVC wouldn't budge. QVC said they are correct to charge tax on fur items...even cheap polyester fur lining.

I posted on the forum asking the mods to help...no one responded.

No one is going to push the issue for a few dollars.  This will only stop if there are multiple people involved showing that this is a big problem that QVC is aware of and is ignoring the issue. perhaps a class action.

Honored Contributor

But I think that is a sllightly different situation 

They are disputing charging taxes because of the fabric content and whether they interpret the law that they should.

This would be about sales tax on an item returned, that you don't even own anymore.

My GF was a comptroller at Perricone before they closed the CT offices.  She was the one that filed sales tax in every state required AND overseas.  It was a nightmare she said keeping all the 'rules' straight for every place!  Not only are there 50 states...but all the counties have their own laws! 

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife 

@RespectLife wrote:

@Johnnyeager  IS CORRECT.

I file NYS Sales tax for two of our companies and yes there IS a line to deduct for credits and refunds.

@wnygrl585 

Having said that, I live in NYS.

I have ALWAYS had my sales tax refunded on sale price adjustments AND returns.  I have shopped w/ Q since CVN.  Have never, ever had a problem.

If you are not, you should as previously suggested contact the mods.

C/S reps are not versed in tax law and the one you spoke with is ill trained!  Don't accept that answer, it is wrong.

I wouldn't waste my time filing for a sales tax refund with NY as an individual.  Too much garbage to go through!  I would push the issue with Q.

@RespectLife Regarding price adjustments and sales tax.  QVC SHOULD give back the difference in sales tax as that is only fair.  Sometimes I get it, but more often than not, I don't.  I have had more than one CS person tell me that they don't give back the difference in sales tax. A few other times, they automatically gave it to me.  That is just extra cash in the QVC pocket because I am sure the tax had not been paid to the state at that point, and if it had, it could be adjusted for the next month payment.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

BTW, our company pays sales tax every month, not quarterly.  We are not in NY, so probably every state has different requirements.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@RespectLife   It's a very different situation that the OP posted, but shows there is a problem at QVC with collecting taxes.

I was told that I shouldn't be so upset because QVC didn't keep the money.  They turned it into the state.  They probably told the OP they same thing.  That sure didn't make me feel any better.

Honored Contributor
I would suggest never ordering anything from QVC that has even a remorse chance of needing to be returned. Saying they will refund the tax but putting the burden on the customer to have them follow through is absurd.
Honored Contributor

You could report it to the state of PA where they do business and recide.  I am sure the customer rep was wrong. That just sounds odd.   I have been shopping here at qvc since 1989 and on the boards since the early 90's,   I have never heard od anyone mentioning this on the boards.  Please follow up.  This is wrong.  

Honored Contributor

I just checked my returns and was refunded the tax.  I live in NY.  

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@RespectLife 

@RespectLife wrote:

@Johnnyeager  IS CORRECT.

I file NYS Sales tax for two of our companies and yes there IS a line to deduct for credits and refunds.

@wnygrl585 

Having said that, I live in NYS.

I have ALWAYS had my sales tax refunded on sale price adjustments AND returns.  I have shopped w/ Q since CVN.  Have never, ever had a problem.

If you are not, you should as previously suggested contact the mods.

C/S reps are not versed in tax law and the one you spoke with is ill trained!  Don't accept that answer, it is wrong.

I wouldn't waste my time filing for a sales tax refund with NY as an individual.  Too much garbage to go through!  I would push the issue with Q.

@RespectLife Regarding price adjustments and sales tax.  QVC SHOULD give back the difference in sales tax as that is only fair.  Sometimes I get it, but more often than not, I don't.  I have had more than one CS person tell me that they don't give back the difference in sales tax. A few other times, they automatically gave it to me.  That is just extra cash in the QVC pocket because I am sure the tax had not been paid to the state at that point, and if it had, it could be adjusted for the next month payment.

@Puppy Lips 

I know they should!  That is what I was saying!  By NYS law, they HAVE to!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@RespectLife   It's a very different situation that the OP posted, but shows there is a problem at QVC with collecting taxes.

I was told that I shouldn't be so upset because QVC didn't keep the money.  They turned it into the state.  They probably told the OP they same thing.  That sure didn't make me feel any better.

@Carmie 

Oh I would be upset!  Especially since you know you are right.

I know that 50 states, thousands of different county tax laws, individual territories is a monumental situation.

Still, they should have the ability with their supposed 'advanced' software to abide by the correct laws in each state, in each county.

While I realize QVC isn't keeping the tax amount the LAST thing I want to do is give NYS any MORE of my money than I have to!  They get ENOUGH!