Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Re: NURSES, PRESENT AND PAST

I remember when my best friend from high school graduated from nursing school.  She was so proud of her distinctive cap which was worn by all of her school's grads,  and was unlike that of any other school.

Now nurses wear no caps and no starched white uniform with white shoes and stockings.  They are more likely to wear brightly colored scrubs with wildly printed Alegria shoes.  They may wear street clothes and have advanced training as a Nurse Practitioner and see patients independently.

I don't know of any occupation that has changed more.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I worked as a nurse and was glad to see the scrubs change into more fashionable styles and colors. Plus I was a disaster wearing white. Everything showed on my uniforms.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirlI was a nurse working in a maximum security prison.  I really enjoyed my job for the most part,  I held true to " firm, fair and consistant", and it was a great experience for me.

Honored Contributor

What I remember is how they would monitor visiting hours and children could not go up to the floor to visit their family members. I always had to sit alone in a waiting room.

Honored Contributor

My niece is a nurse and she says it's a mean, dirty, nasty way to make a living. We were 

floored when she said this, especially her Dad who insisted she go into it. My niece is college educated RN,BSN and she says the only thing that has really changed in nursing is the salary.I suggested she go into another line of work since she does already have a degree and she said,"Oh no, I love nursing, I'm just telling it like it is".

Respected Contributor

Nursing changed becasue medicine and medical care changed.  That's either great or awful, depending on your point of view.  Mine favors the former.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@mousiegirlI was a nurse working in a maximum security prison.  I really enjoyed my job for the most part,  I held true to " firm, fair and consistant", and it was a great experience for me.

@hayseed00   How interesting, and probably challenging.

Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

I worked as a nurse and was glad to see the scrubs change into more fashionable styles and colors. Plus I was a disaster wearing white. Everything showed on my uniforms.

I prefer to see medical personnel dressed in more colorful, yet medical office-appropriate,  uniforms.  My favorite doctor wears a button-down shirt, pleated khakis, a colorful tie, and a Mickey Mouse watch. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My favorite nurses, that I can remember over the years,  had a wordless, empathic sense of the suffering of others, and were eager to alleviate it, at some deep level.  You can feel it emanating from them, as you can from select other medical personnel as well.   Noble!