Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I have an account because my kids are often posting pictures of the grandkids.    I have a few "friends" again, mostly relatives.    

I don't use it much.   I rarely post anything.   

What inbox are you talking about?

@Shanus

It comes to my regular email address: birthdays, so & so wants to befriend you, etc.

Frequent Contributor

I have a FB account so I can go to certain FB pages but as far as my "page" it is non-existent.  I actually dislike the fact that people feel the need to spread their "hate" and negative opinions.  For me - life is too short for that foolishness.  Keeping up with friends and family is fine but I find far too much other stuff that tries to bring negativity into my life.  I seem to be very much the opposite of other friends and family.

Honored Contributor

I have no "friends" on FB that I don't know personally. I use it to keep up with friends and family from all over the world.I have 52 first cousins - my Dad was one of 16 children -  so FB is a simple way for us to stay in touch simply. My stepchildren live in England so instead of occasional letters or phone calls we are in touch every day on FB. 

You don't have to accept every friend request. If you don't know someone just delete the request.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

No longer...

Thought of being watched by anyone disturbs me.

My feelings exactly. Because my privacy settings were "iffy", people were getting through to me. With all the hacking going on, figured better to just to elimate what could be just another way to inadvertently give out info.

Super Contributor

FB seems to be sort of a necessary evil in today's world.  I have an account but have my settings on lockdown, therefore I seem rather unfriendly!  I don't have my list of friends accessible to anyone but myself.    I also limit my feed to only certain people - you can adjust your settings so that you don't get certain friends' posts in your feed.  Some people post constantly and it takes a lot of time to scroll through the recipes, the inspirational quotes etc.  

What I would suggest to you is to get someone FB savvy to help you adjust your settings.  You could maintain your account and simply not go onto it.  There's no law that says you have to scroll through your feed or respond to anything.  

Respected Contributor

I actually shut mine down this week.  I don't use it a whole lot but got tired of so many things.  I too only friend friends and family but...enough.  I don't have time to go into it all.  But one thing I got tired of is the ads. I tried to turn them off but everything I did didn't work and I don't have the patience to study Facebook rules.  So infuriating to see an item you were searching for pop up in an ad.  Time and time again.  

It can be a good tool though but not for me right now. 

Honored Contributor

Re: NO MORE FACEBOOK FOR ME

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

No longer...

Thought of being watched by anyone disturbs me.

Even if it's deleted, it's still there.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a FB account, and I rarely post to it.

I do not post what I am doing or eating every second of the live long day, and I know that I am not the only person on the whole planet who does that.

I use it to keep in touch with family and my high school friends, some whom I haven't seen since graduation.

I do not accept every friend request that I get.

I also do not respond to every post that I get on my wall.

Respected Contributor

Re: NO MORE FACEBOOK FOR ME

[ Edited ]

@Dilemma Meringue wrote:

FB seems to be sort of a necessary evil in today's world.  I have an account but have my settings on lockdown, therefore I seem rather unfriendly!  I don't have my list of friends accessible to anyone but myself.    I also limit my feed to only certain people - you can adjust your settings so that you don't get certain friends' posts in your feed.  Some people post constantly and it takes a lot of time to scroll through the recipes, the inspirational quotes etc.  

What I would suggest to you is to get someone FB savvy to help you adjust your settings.  You could maintain your account and simply not go onto it.  There's no law that says you have to scroll through your feed or respond to anything.  

Yes, this.  I had to block some people because it was pages and pages of posts.  Mostly promoting their business. And memes.  Some of them are funny and cute but not pages and pages of them. 

Respected Contributor

When Facebook first started up, someone we trust advised DH and me not to get involved, since there was no outside limit to it or to how it would be handled in the future. Great advice. We have never felt the need to tell anyone what we had for lunchI So we are pleased that we never got involved and won't do so in the future.  Also no Twitter, PinIt, etc. I've been asked to friend people and in a few cases been tempted, but overall glad I declined.