Valued Contributor

Where do you live? Here in WI I have found few shortages barrowing the TP hoarding early on and still a problem with cleaning sanitizing supplies, which I don't happen to need. I physically go to the stores myself though. 

Respected Contributor

There is no shortage of food in this country. You may not get exactly what you want because of the disruption of supply chains but there is plenty available. Just yesterday I ordered several canned items and 3# of dry navy beans from Walmart (not delivery - shipping) and they have already shipped. Free shipping with $35+.

Trusted Contributor

@josie  Not sure where you are in MD but I was out shopping today and had no issues purchasing everything I wanted between Aldi's and Costco. I also shopped for a neighbor and my in-laws. Plenty of everything you listed in stock at both locations.  If you lived near me, I'd have no problem adding you to the list of those I shop for Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

It's very hard to determine the actual health of our supply chains. But regardless, I think we have figured out through these many related threads that is all comes down to the locale in which you live. And even then, stores vary so much.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor
I’ve had no luck with Instacart. I’m in NJersey, Bergen County. I always get the message “no delivery dates available“ “no pickup times available”. So we go at 6 am senior hours and have good luck.
Trusted Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@josie wrote:

When I say can't get out, I'm 70, a widow lost both my adult son's and husband and only have a few cousins who live elsewhere and I'm handicap. I was getting my groceries delivered but now the waiting list for a date is months away.

I'm about 64 with diabetes that caused my kidneys to stop functioning and am now on dialysis. I also have chronic heart failure. 

I've used Amazon Fresh but can't get a delivery date so I then went to InstaCart. With them, there are times when I have to check back with them constantly but I do eventually get a delivery date. I've found that the closer to midnight, the better the chance I get a delivery date. I just make sure I order enough to carry me through. 

Oh, and I live in a city with over 1 million others. 

Call your County/City hot-line.  Many States have them.  Let them know you are a Senior on dialysis. 

Good Grief - people are falling through the cracks all over the place.  

Respected Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@Sushismom wrote:

@josie wrote:

When I say can't get out, I'm 70, a widow lost both my adult son's and husband and only have a few cousins who live elsewhere and I'm handicap. I was getting my groceries delivered but now the waiting list for a date is months away.

I'm about 64 with diabetes that caused my kidneys to stop functioning and am now on dialysis. I also have chronic heart failure. 

I've used Amazon Fresh but can't get a delivery date so I then went to InstaCart. With them, there are times when I have to check back with them constantly but I do eventually get a delivery date. I've found that the closer to midnight, the better the chance I get a delivery date. I just make sure I order enough to carry me through. 

Oh, and I live in a city with over 1 million others. 

Call your County/City hot-line.  Many States have them.  Let them know you are a Senior on dialysis. 

Good Grief - people are falling through the cracks all over the place.  

I'm sorry, but who would I be calling and why? 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've never done my food shopping on line so I don't know if this would have any effect of not getting the items you ordered but when I go grocery shopping, I'm not getting the brand I'd usually buy or a particular item.  For example:  I like Progresso bread crumbs, but they only had Kroger brand and if I wanted Oreo's and they only had chocolate chip.  Does shopping on instantcart allow for substitutions?  I'm not getting many of the things I'd usually pick up at the grocery store.  I've been buying things I have never tried before.

@ScrapHappy 

Ive been with Instacart for grocery delivery for awhile pre and post pandemic....I ALWAYS make sure to include a replacement item which their APP recommends, or I also place an additional suggestion in the place they give to add an online note. If your item is out of stock, your shopper will text you....they will offer a replacement thats available, you can approve or diapprove the replacement on line...or chat with your shopper online ....but if there is nothing available they will just refund you....(and yes Ive had to settle a few times for store brands rather than a national brand but the store brand was fine....just glad I got the product)...

I found its now important to be very deligent and focused on your app when your shopping is in progress until completion....that way you can approve or disapprove replacements and make further recommendations....Ive always been pleased with Instacart and the shoppers Ive had have always tried their best and were professional....of course I do give them a GOOD tip for their efforts...the convenience is worth it to me....especially now...............

We're all different and I'm glad you like Instacart @Spurt. I had my virgin experience with them today and NEVER AGAIN... I don't want to be glued to a cellphone for the couple hours it takes them to shop, text messaging back and forth... NO THANKS... Nor do I want to guess at the acceptability of available substitutes. I'll stick with Peapod, where you either authorize them up-front to make reasonable (and returnable) substitutes or you don't . Their choices have almost always been good ones. I simply don't want to be bombarded with close to 50 text messages, as I was today to manage alternatives... If I wanted to go through all that, I'd just take my chances and go shopping... Calling me would be quicker and take up less time, but they apparently prefer not to do that... As for availability, it continues to suck in my area... My order was for over two hundred dollars but by the time they 'refunded' me for unavailable items, I ended up with about seventy-five dollars worth of groceries... A colossal waste of time and after waiting the better part of a week to even get a delivery 'window', which stretched for three days... Added to all that, the only way to reach them to ask a procedural question was an on-line chat that was not remotely helpful... Uh uh... Assuming things ever settle down, I might give them another shot down the road but then again, I might not... Say what you will, but I continue to feel strongly that the supply chain issues are not improving and it's going to take some sort of authority to make it happen. Left to their own devices, the distribution chain and retailers are not cutting the mustard. There's way too much variability and it needs to be better managed. Heck, it needs to be managed at all.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Wow!  Five items out of thirty-three doesn't sound right, @josie .  It sound more like a problem with the shopper, not the supply.

I've been shopping for me and my neighbor.  So far I've gotten everything she's wanted:  I did pick up the unsalted instead of salted butter 'cause I forgot to ask which she preferred.  And, when the store had blueberries 2 for $5, I was only allowed to buy two even thought I was shopping for two of us.  And, when she wanted a rotisserie chicken, I had gone before they were ready, so one was put aside and I went back after having a coffee (and bought another two blueberries!

I have encountered problems with frozen vegetables.  They seem to be like TP, get there early 'cause the cases will soon be deplenished.  I think most people have ignored the fresh stuff and gone to the frozen due to the pandemic, I know, I have.

Though there are many markets in the area, I shop in our small-town grocery store and to date, haven't really encountered any supply problems.  It's just strange seeing everybody wearing a mask and staying away from one another with much less friendy chatter.  Shopping isn't fun anymore.

As for Amazonsmile, had no problem getting TP - and, a very good brand at a decent price.  A box of tissues on subscribe and save was supposedly delayed - by one day!

Perhaps you should request a different shopper.  Haven't tried any of those services so don't know how they work, but assume some shoppers are better at their job than others.

@eddyandme  All I can say is it sounds like you've been fortunate... 

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

There is no shortage of food in this country. You may not get exactly what you want because of the disruption of supply chains but there is plenty available. Just yesterday I ordered several canned items and 3# of dry navy beans from Walmart (not delivery - shipping) and they have already shipped. Free shipping with $35+.

There might well be plenty of food available somewhere in this country, but that doesn't mean that everyone can gain access to it...