Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@CalminHeart - you have toilet paper?!?!? I don't care what brand it is, we just want some!  We are also out of paper towels. Our stores order it, but don't receive it. Yes, I've asked.

I place pick-up orders at my supermarket, but only receive a fraction of what we ordered.  .

How can this happen in the good ol' USA?

Our stores are usually out of toilet paper too.  I was lucky to get some in my last grocery order.   My brother works there and said they get a couple of cases a few times a week. That's about 1% of what they used to get.  Hoarders have made it difficult for the rest of us to get a supply for a week or two.   

Valued Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

There are shortages of medical supplies and medical needs.

There is a lack of food supply getting to the supermarkets.

There is a lack of good hygiene supplies.

There is a lack of helping the elderly. Meals on wheels are all but cancelled in most areas.

The stores advertise the items are available only in the store not for pick-up orders or orders online. When you get to the store at 6AM nothing is on the shelf.

Great, it is suggested we wear masks however the stores we would buy the supplies needed to make those masks are closed.

It is suggested we support take out restaurants. OK. What I am curious in knowing is if the Health Department is monitoring these places and making sure they are clean and using sanitary guidelines when preparing the food. Sure, anyone can wear gloves and masks but if they handle cash while using those gloves and then go back to preparing food, that is not clean handling of food. People are careless when no one can be seen watching them.

Try contacting town government offices for help and see how far that will get you.

We are going to have to survive with what we have. Now I envy those who really stocked up. I criticized them but now I do not.

Hopefully we all will have learned a lesson from this pandemic and be more prepared in the future for an unprecedented crisis... there is a light at the end of the tunnel and we will all get through this... but hopefully we will all be a little smarter from all this mahem...we have to depend on ourselves and not others in the future.. JMHO

Valued Contributor

@josie wrote:

I ordered 33 items through Instacart yesterday and received 5....this doesn't even begin to show the first sign of getting better, if you do find domething somewhere the cost has tripled it is starting to get to me since I'm almost 70, can't get out, retired and a widow. What are we suppose to do...should we start buying food on QVC because we can't get it in the grocery stores?

I don't know where you live, but do you have a Schwan's company in your city/town?... I have placed several orders through the Schwan co. ... they carry mainly frozen items, a little expensive, but at least it's something to eat and most is pretty good IMO.. 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

you may want to check out schwans.com for your needs.

they have a nice selection of frozen foods that they will deliver right to your door.

there is currently a 50% off coupon for first time customers.

some items are out of stock, but you can add them to your cart for your next delivery date.

=====

As a long time Schwans customer, they are out of many things. I got all five items last week, but driver said he is unable to fulfill many requests.

@josie I'm not sure where you live, but our stores have enough food - maybe not everything a person wants, but plenty to get by on.

Honored Contributor

I'm not ever going to be a person to lecture senior citizens, or any other vulnerable population, that they should have been prepared for a global pandemic. Others whose job it is to be prepared, and who take plenty of tax money from us for that purpose, were clearly not prepared.

Local, state, and national governments take plenty of tax money from seniors. Not too much to ask to help them out during a pandemic.

And we need capable people in charge of supply chains, medical and grocery and other. It's all well and good to be personally prepared at the level of a doomsday prepper, but it's not fair at all  to judge and criticize people who aren't.  People aren't for many different reasons, and many beyond their control. Money, storage space, transportation, and so many other reasons. We all need to think outside the comfort zone of our own lives and have compassion. And do what we can to help.

Are people who are stocked up like doomsday preppers offering food to elderly neighbors, to any neighbors? Offering toilet paper or any other household goods?

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

No food, no Kleenex, no toilet paper, no cleaning products, no masks... Instead of our leaders at all levels rattling on and on about the medical aspects of the situation, which clearly they, nor the supposed medical experts, have a clue how to contain or eliminate, some of them really should, by now, have turned their attention to the fact that the population needs food and essentials. Whenever I see someone waxing eloquent about this great land of ours, I feel compelled to point out that no aspect of this crisis has been or is being handled at all well and in fact, others have done a better job. When something 'unprecedented' happens, we require creative solutions and we're not seeing any. We've essentially been relegated to living in a 3rd world country.

I don’t know where you and most of the posters live but I can only speak for myself and my area. I live in Central Jersey and we are hit hard here.

I go shopping once a week and the stores I shop  ( local Shoprite, Wegmans, Costco and m’y European specialty store) are wonderfully stocked and organized. We have absolutely everything!

I think instead of blaming the government for everything you should ask your store management or owners to organize their businesses a little better to serv3 you more efficiently.

Esteemed Contributor

All I know is that my relatives in S. Calif tell me they have never had shortages at their stores at this time.   We in the central states have empty shelves.  Yes, I have talked to store managers several times.  They tell me they order food and paper products from several sources, but they are not getting any deliveries.   So, lots of food supplies on the coasts, but not getting transported to central states.

@SANNA- please don't tell me how well stocked all your stores are.  It makes me jealous.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

All I know is that my relatives in S. Calif tell me they have never had shortages at their stores at this time.   We in the central states have empty shelves.  Yes, I have talked to store managers several times.  They tell me they order food and paper products from several sources, but they are not getting any deliveries.   So, lots of food supplies on the coasts, but not getting transported to central states.

@SANNA- please don't tell me how well stocked all your stores are.  It makes me jealous.

Sorry to hear that.... My brother lives in L.A. and they have lines and empty shelves too.And my one girlfriends son stood 3 hours on Saturday to get into his local Whole Foods ( North Jersey). It’s insane! That is why I insist that everything is on management.

Stay well!

Respected Contributor

I sent my daughter in Chicago an order from Omaha Steaks. I let her pick what she wanted and I paid. But this is expensive so it can't be a weekly occurrence. She like a lot of people who reside in big cites has no car and she can't get delivery times from Amazon Fresh or Instacart.

A few weeks ago someone here recommended Boxed.com. I tried this and got my order very quickly. Early Saturday I checked with them and they had toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and wipes in stock for a limited time and they did limit you to one of each of these items. If you need these items go to the site early each day to check on availability. Order enough to get free shipping. They let you know when your box is shipped and actually send you a picture of the box with your items. 

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

No food, no Kleenex, no toilet paper, no cleaning products, no masks... Instead of our leaders at all levels rattling on and on about the medical aspects of the situation, which clearly they, nor the supposed medical experts, have a clue how to contain or eliminate, some of them really should, by now, have turned their attention to the fact that the population needs food and essentials. Whenever I see someone waxing eloquent about this great land of ours, I feel compelled to point out that no aspect of this crisis has been or is being handled at all well and in fact, others have done a better job. When something 'unprecedented' happens, we require creative solutions and we're not seeing any. We've essentially been relegated to living in a 3rd world country.

I don't disagree with much of this, but I do have to say, that it really is all about things starting at the individual level. 

We each have to take the responsibility to figure out ways to be prepared for things we expect to happen (like a hurricane if you live in Florida) and things that could happen but aren't normal, like this event. 

Then once people have the mindset of personal preparedness, that will transfer and grow into their professional life and their community life. 

Where were all the lower level government workers and elected officials not demanding more preparedness at their level before any of this? Where were the people working in the lower levels of health care not demanding better stocking of PPE? Where were all the retailers that knew the just in time supply chain was fragile?

Most truly successful endeavors start at the grass roots level, when the masses of any group know what they need/want, and work to secure it for themselves through their employer, union, elected officials etc. It's those in the trenches of any group, those doing the daily dirty work, that really know what is what, what they need, what they are lacking, what works and what doesn't, and they need to be more demanding from now on (whatever that takes), and be listened to from now on. 

With today's 24/7 media, with social media, people today can be more easily heard, can more easily call attention to needs or things lacking than ever before in history, and it needs to be happening with preparedness in every level of government and business and health care. 

@Mominohio I totally agree with you.. individuals should be somewhat prepared re: food/supplies/fuel, etc. befoe something like this hits... you never know what will happen...people have come to depend upon the government for most everything...

I'm hoping we all will be better prepared if something out of the ordinary should/will happen again, this includes the government... we continue to live in an uncertain world... we can only control what we can control ourselves...