Honored Contributor

Re: NEW JIMMY HOFFA MATERIAL SOUNDS INTERESTING

I hadn't thought of that violent aspect with Scorsese, @shoekitty, but I'm sure you're right.  With this kind of story, there's bound to be gore, especially with Scorsese at the helm.  It's funny I forget about that aspect of him, I only see the films of his where there won't be graphic blood, like his wonderful "The Age of Innocence".   There was a lot of "hurting" in that, but it was all internal and psychological...

Am probably more interested in the new book, esp. with the stepfather-of-the-author angle.  Can't imagine how it must have been for the author--  embarked on a high-profile, illustrious legal career, but with a relative lurking in the background that was suspected of perhaps "doing in" Jimmy Hoffa.  High drama and mental torment had to be in play, esp. since I think he has said O'Brien was actually a caring stepfather to him as a young boy...

Honored Contributor

DH grew up not too far from where Hoffa was last seen. He followed the various conspiracy theories for a while, then decided he will never be found. When the mafia wants someone to disappear forever, they make sure they do.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Funny you mentioned Judge Crater.  I just heard his name mentioned the other day.

I also am intrigued by the disappearance of Hoffa and others.

Odd how Whitey Bulger was able to "disappear" and live a semi-normal life for years.

I think there was suspicion about Crater leaving with a mistress; one mistress was murdered, too. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, ever-alert @Cakers3 --  Crater's case was terribly juicy, and the fact that he was highly placed, a Justice of the State Supreme Court of New York, just added to the drama. It's funny, though his disappearance happened in the early Thirties, he was a household name for decades and decades afterward, so did his story capture the public imagination.  Now few people get the allusion.  Sic transit gloria, and all that!

I'm fascinated by that whole Bulger thing persisting too-- even up to this day.  I don't know much of anything about it.  If I'm remembering right, it's extraordinary that circumstances and people seemed to conspire to allow such crookedness to hide in plain sight, for so long.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

We will never know what happened to him,  too many years ago, he is long gone.

At the bottom of the ocean in a cement coffin that's now covered w/sea plants & plant life.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
When the mafia wants someone to disappear forever, they make sure they do.

Like the neighbor who killed John Gotti's youngest son w/his car.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this information on the book.  I would like to read it.  There is another interesting book on the subject called I Heard You Paint Houses....I don't remember the author.

I grew up in the area.  Hoffa disappeared from a restaurant called The Red Fox.  DH and I had just had our rehearsal dinner there a few months before he disappeared.  

Honored Contributor

That's a fascinating little detail that you had your rehearsal dinner there, @walker!   I love when posters give their various personal connections to major events and incidents in history....  makes it all the more vivid and real.

Honored Contributor

Jimmy Hoffa disappearance always fascinated me. I do wonder who did it and how it was done and where exactly are the remains.