Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 @SilleeMee 

I have been wearing either silk masks with filter inserts or I got some Diamonique ones (great prices on QVC) with filter inserts.

The Diamonique I gave to family for a fun Christmas present. There were two in each set. I tried a pink set myself and washed first to make sure all the stones would stay on!

This was not a serious gift, of course. The grands got to pass them out and choose a color for each person.

I'm  sure now that COVID is so rampant, these will not be the ones they wear at school, etc. These masks may provide SOMEVprotection, but of course, they do not "seal".

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
I wear a KN95 mask out & about. Hanging it on your car mirror is frankly useless. Best to store in a paper bag if reusing for a few days/trips out.

If you don't care, than do whatever you want, wear the same mask a gazillion times, or do nothing.

I'm frankly sick of grown adults complaining about wearing masks when most little kids seem to have no problems! Just saying.... I for one have no problems wearing one. And I know several people with MAJOR health issues-also no problem wearing a mask.

This is how I feel. People who proudly proclaim they'll do nothing don't effect me. They aren't shocking to me. They have been conned into thinking they're "owning" folks who take the virus seriously. They arent "owning" me or anyone else. They're the ones who are on ventilators and dying.

Let them do what they want. I'm concerned with me and mine.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest @SilleeMee @ceekay @sometimesQVCaddict @Jordan2 

Here is a picture of the KN95 they were selling on ShopHQ... in the picture it doesn't LOOK very sealed at the edges...

I'm going to look up the ones @SilleeMee uses, just to see. 
And yes, I only go to the grocery store and to the mall (week days only less crowded). So maybe a better mask would be necessary..after all sometimes I find myself becoming aware of conditions that are more crowded than I had expected. 
'Such as the children's birthday party last weekend.. I had this thought (while cutting and passing out birthday cake) that the room just seemed a little too crowded. And sure enough, one of their moms had run a + test that very morning (tested at work).

BF8EC4E6-D541-46D8-9AC0-FEFF7F362FF5.webp

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I have these.  Got them several weeks ago.  I got them through Amazon.  They feel pretty comfortable.  I couldn't get the white though.  They were sold out.  So I have the black. 

I rarely go anywhere after work.  I stopped taking the shuttle to work, so I just drive now.  I haven't been to a restaurant since the pandemic started.I use instacart for food shopping, have not been in a supermarket for a long time. Still haven't gotten sick.  So I'm hopeful to stay healthy.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 

The KN95s don't have the same kind of edge that the N95s have meaning the KN95s don't seal completely. There seems to always be a leak somewhere around the edge of a KN95 mask. If you know about N95s then you should know that there is a specific way to wear them and to check for leaks before going out with one on.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@LTT1 

I have been wearing KN95 masks for almost the beginning of the pandemic. I buy POWECOM brand from BonaFideMasks dot com. Free shipping, no minimum and authentic.

Thanks for the tip, @SilleeMee .  I had ordered some KN95s but I checked this siite and they have the children's/SM size...DD is an adult but a tiny face so I picked some of that size up for her here.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
I wear a KN95 mask out & about. Hanging it on your car mirror is frankly useless. Best to store in a paper bag if reusing for a few days/trips out.

If you don't care, than do whatever you want, wear the same mask a gazillion times, or do nothing.

I'm frankly sick of grown adults complaining about wearing masks when most little kids seem to have no problems! Just saying.... I for one have no problems wearing one. And I know several people with MAJOR health issues-also no problem wearing a mask.

This is how I feel. People who proudly proclaim they'll do nothing don't effect me. They aren't shocking to me. They have been conned into thinking they're "owning" folks who take the virus seriously. They arent "owning" me or anyone else. They're the ones who are on ventilators and dying.

Let them do what they want. I'm concerned with me and mine.

Well it will soon be summer here in Arizona and just try to wear a mask on your face when it's 110 plus degrees with lows in the 90's and see how comfortable you are. Kids included. And as for hanging them on the mirror. Well the cars get 140 degrees plus inside pretty quickly. That should kill anything living.

Honored Contributor

From stylecaster(dot)com:

You might be wondering about the difference between masks (i.e. cloth) and respirators (i.e. N95). “Masks are designed to contain your respiratory droplets and particles. They also provide you some protection from particles expelled by others,” according to the CDC’s website. Meanwhile, “Respirators are designed to protect you from particles, including the virus that causes COVID-19, and in doing so they also contain your respiratory droplets and particles so you do not expose others.”

Getting the correct type of respirator mask is super important. As you’ve probably seen and heard all over the news, with Covid-19 cases surging, you should opt for N95 face masks. “The N95 respirator is the most common of the seven types of particulate filtering facepiece respirators,” wrote the CDC. “This product filters at least 95% of airborne particles but is not resistant to oil-based particles.”

When worn, an N95 mask should form a tight seal on your face. Make sure you don’t try to wash your N95 respirators, since they’re disposable (a.k.a intended for single-use). Definitely throw yours away when it has become dirty, broken or difficult to breathe through.

You’ll know you have an N95 mask when it has a cup, flat fold or duck bill shape, two straps that wrap around your head and a bendable wire nose bridge. You should not wear an N95 mask if you have certain types of facial hair, mistakenly purchased a counterfeit mask or if you’re already wearing a mask or second respirator.

Additionally, the CDC advises against using N95 respirators with “surgical” in the name, as healthcare personnel should get those masks first. 

The next question is what the heck are KN95 masks and how do they vary from N95 ones? KN95 face masks are manufactured in China and therefore must fulfill different certification requirements than ones made in the United States. They also fasten around your ears. On the other hand, N95 masks must satisfy guidelines established by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), and they wrap around your head for a closer fit. The CDC has a list of NIOSH approved N95 respirator masks posted on its website, as well as a list of counterfeit respirators and how to spot fakes.

A quick note on KN95 face masks: “About 60% KN95 respirators in the United States are counterfeit (fake) and DO NOT meet NIOSH requirements,” wrote the CDC.  So, before you check out, be sure you know for certain that the one you’re buying is real. 

Honored Contributor

I have been trying to find kn95 masks,approved by niosh, for my 86 yr.old mom, sold out ,and the n95 i had posted about will not ship until march.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@goldensrbest @Jordan2 @bonnielu @Pink123 @BlueFinch @SilleeMee 

Just happened to watch ShopHQ earlier and they are selling KN95.

Price looked outrageous to me, but 🤷🏼‍♀️?

Paper masks irritate my face badly. The ones being sold on ShopHQ have edges that slope ... do those cause less irritation?

Are you going to switch to this more expensive mask?

World Tech KN95 5-Layer Protective Face Masks for Personal Use

The reviews on these masks are not good. Also whoever is considering buying these. Please read the Disclaimer at the bottom of the page.