Honored Contributor

I finally wore my N95 mask today to go and early vote. It was very comfortable. I followed the directions on the package to fit it to my nose. What I like best about it is that it doesn't fog my glasses. All air goes in and out through the valve.

What I like least about it is that it doesn't have ear loops. You put it on around the back of your neck and behind your head above your ears. Hard to keep your hair nice while situating the mask properly. And I felt like a few people unfamiliar with this type of mask might have thought I didn't know how to put it on properly, since the bright yellow elastic went behind my head. Very minor concerns all in all and I was fortunate not to have to wear it for long.

The location took very good precautions: required that I wear a glove (it was one size fits all and blocked my seeing the paper when signing at first), had me drop my ID on a piece of paper that the worker then pulled towards her to examine without touching it. And distancing markers on the floor. I brought my own pen. They had hand sanitizer at the exit by the stickers, which I used.

I also noticed a musty smell in my car due to this mask. I took it off in the car and suddenly I could smell something different. So I'll be detailing the interior this week. Another nice benefit of the N95.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Glad you were able to go vote today.

I thought they said not to wear the masks with a valve on them because while they protect you they don't protect others around you?

I hate wearing the masks. My face all around my cheeks, mouth, chin area gets all inflamed, red & irritated.

Honored Contributor

I went to get my flu shot today and I wore my paw/print mask that my SIL made and maintained a 6 ft. distance.

I'm saving my N95 masks in case I have to go into a hospital/nursing home settling, with many sick people.

Being high risk, I've only left home twice since early march, once for a Dr. appt (before they started doing them by phone) and today for my flu shot.

I'm a homebody, so I have no problem self isolating with DH and DD.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain A valve?  N95 masks aren't supposed to have an exhalation valve.  It may protect you more and assist inhaling/exhaling, but it protects others less.  Early on, we were reminded to avoid masks with valves.  Just saying ...

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Glad you were able to go vote today.

I thought they said not to wear the masks with a valve on them because while they protect you they don't protect others around you?

I hate wearing the masks. My face all around my cheeks, mouth, chin area gets all inflamed, red & irritated.

Heard the same thing about the masks with valves, fairly usless.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

N95 masks with a valve are NOT going to help keep germs from going out towards others.  They have NOT been given the "ok" to work well.  My Husband used to wear them at work to keep DUST out and that's about it.

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@Porcelain A valve?  N95 masks aren't supposed to have an exhalation valve.  It may protect you more and assist inhaling/exhaling, but it protects others less.  Early on, we were reminded to avoid masks with valves.  Just saying ...

Next time I'll put one of my surgical masks on over it just in case. That should cover everything. I was most concerned about not catching Covid in this particular circumstance. It was very well run and I was welcomed in wearing my mask as it was. People were very nice and respected social distancing.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

N95 masks with a valve are NOT going to help keep germs from going out towards others.  They have NOT been given the "ok" to work well.  My Husband used to wear them at work to keep DUST out and that's about it.

Yep, we are asked to wear masks to protect others, not ourselves. Those masks with valves may actually spread things further.   Kind of selfish when you only think of yourself,

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: N95 Mask Success

[ Edited ]

There are different kinds of N95 masks. Some are vented and others are not. The vented ones should not be worn for covid reasons. Vented N95 masks are for construction workers or for people who are not going to be around other people. The one-way vent part doesn't have any filtration capability and is there to make it easier for the wearer to exhale.

download.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Yep, we are asked to wear masks to protect others, not ourselves. Those masks with valves may actually spread things further.   Kind of selfish when you only think of yourself,

This is awesome that you are defending mask wearing to protect others. Thank you! I love that. Heart