Super Contributor

my Wal Mar has a square in red that says "do not enter" on the down aisles--the up aisles have arrows-------------------marynj

Honored Contributor

Re: My Wal-Mart observation

[ Edited ]

Very few in our Walmart!!   Was thinking when I was there that Red would have been a better color, so many people were not looking down on the floor!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Unless you live under a rock (and in this day and age of communication that is almost impossible to do) people are aware of the "rules."  It is important to some and not to others.

To some, it is a mission in life to break rules. But only because they are "special."  They must be who they are; they have been bullied or treated rudely, etc., so none of this is their problem.  It's only about other people and they are exempt. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@pigletsmom   Exactly...our walmart does not have one way aisles but weeks ago an elderly couple were shopping together and pretty much stopped in the middle of the end of the aisle..I could not get around them.

Instead of asking them to move I went to the other aisle...picked up what I wanted and headed back to the 'original' aisle...they were still there...again  I did not ask them to move...I guess I should have offered to help them...I just moved on to a different aisle.

Exactly!!  I notice elderly people won't move and will block an area for a long time. And don't get me started on those motorized carts!

Esteemed Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Makes me wonder why they bothered putting all the arrows of entering and exiting  in the aisles as the people don't follow them.  Not at my WM anyway.

@KKJ  .. they aren't followed in my local Walmart either.  And the Walmart employees just stand there watching people disobeying the arrows and do nothing about it.  Why bother with these arrows if they aren't enforced?? 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal That was me the first time I went to Publix after they put in the directional arrows.  I knew they were there, followed them correctly down the dairy aisle and up the next.   And then ....  realized I could avoid the next aisle totally and moved on to the next -  for sure I'd be going against traffic!

Another shopper quietly warned me -  I was embarrassed but grateful, and I backed up a few feet and moved on as I should have.

The more people who practice social distancing -  or who help us who do want to and revert to old habits -  the more likely I am to feel free to circulate in the wider world.  Not even close yet where I live.  

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@KKJ Walmart "bothered" because social distancing is also socially responsible.   And probably gives them some legal protection.

When shoppers ignore the guides and add to potential danger, short of a company hiring a guard for each shopper they allow access to their store -  what would you have them do?

So far-  the best social responsibility I'm taking is to keep me away from places where the clientele is still acting like lots of teen-agers do.  Many feel immortal and only when tragedy strikes close to home do they realize it just isn't so.   Much as I'd like "normal" to be what it was, I'm resigned to that not being true for me for a very long time.

@millieshops  .. I would have the employees who are just standing around watching the arrows being ignored enforce them!   When you have 10 people in an aisle .. and only one is following the arrows while the employee is watching this going on the employee needs to do something about it!!  

Trusted Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

You know I actually found myself not compliant, totally not on purpose, I am just so concerned about being there I am laser focused on getting what I need and getting out.

And that should be the objective.  Not lingering or browsing.  Get in and get out.  Less exposure. Arrows defeat that purpose in many instances. What is more beneficial is limiting the number of people at a time in a store.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

That is what I do now, Get in and Get out! Focus on my list and move as quickly as possible!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

How in the world are Wal-Mart employees going to enforce the rules of the aisles now? 

I feel sorry for any employee in this situation.

They are not professional police and I can just imagine some customers becoming irate if told they are not "toeing the line"-no pun inteneded.

WF and our local chain have distancing markers at registers.

Trader Joe's also has markers outside on the sidewarlk-they only allow about 10 people in at a time.

We avoid WM at all costs and haven't shopped there in ages.

I don't understand how this works-if a person forgets an item-what do they do?  Start back at "GO"??

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh