Esteemed Contributor

I would lock my doors even in the country.  I still remember reading "In Cold Blood"!!

Honored Contributor

We always lock our doors at night.  I can't imagine leaving them unlocked. 

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

As with many issues in life, people need to live in reality. One can't live in lala land; that is basically gambling. With the drug epidemic, crime is worst than ever even in areas formerly never affected.

I don't live a life of paranoia or am overly suspicious, but I am proactive in protecting myself and my property. My neighbor and I keep each other informed as much as possible. They let me know if they are expecting anyone at their home when they are away, we do like wise. If we see anyone questionable around, we investigate.

Our doors are always locked, even when we are home. Our cars are kept locked, even in the garage. My home has floor to ceiling windows, these are tinted, making it almost impossible to see inside day or night. We have an elevated deck that has direct access to our kitchen and bedroom. When the house was built I eliminated the steps to the deck.

I know our home is not as secure as it could be, but I am reasonably comfortable with the steps I have taken.

agree. It's a shame, The drugs problem here is now out of control. I am shocked to see how many kids and adults ( who I would have never thought) sticking needles in their arms with no second thought about it. It's really sad. 

Respected Contributor

When we lived in Ventura, CA many years ago, down the street from a local high school, some kids were in the barranca behind or house smoking (I think it was an illegal substance). I get our doberman Gunner out; he was a sweet as a kitten, but I never saw so many legs moving through the under brush as that time. Gunner just ran around the back and came right in to the fence gate.

We never had a problem after that. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hmmmm.  We've had our next door neighbors 'burglarized' and only the electronic items taken.  It was a window of time that I will always remain suspicious.  Many people claim break ins and burglarization but they do it themselves to claim the insurance money. 

If your situation is different, it's unnerving as now the bad guyus know how to easily get into other complexes there.  You may have more break ins.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I had extensive storm damage to my house 2 months ago and it has been a nightmare with the construction company I hired. I have had strangers coming to my house to do work and this week was the final straw. An incompetent job all the way around. I liked them but now I have to tell on them.

I am waiting for the manager to call me today to see if I am satisfied with the work and it is not good. I don't want them coming back to fix it but I still have to pay them for what I feel they deserve.  

They know I live alone, not well, and have a sick dog. I am dreading the conversation that will happen and I just hope I never see these people again.

I have a list a mile long with all the mistakes. Not sure how to handle this and I don't want repercussions and I don't know if they will get fired. I would like to talk to the owner but not sure how far to go with this but I am not paying for shoddy work.

I don't have anyone to help me with this situation.  

Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. Last part was unkind to another poster.

Honored Contributor

Contact your local BBB.  They will negotiate it for you.

Respected Contributor

I live in a condo, and some new neighbors moved into the unit directly across the courtyard from me.  I knew it the day they moved in because their living room faces mine, and they never close their blinds (most people around here do........at least at night).  They have a TV that's so large I can literally watch it from my front window.  I've laughed about that (if mine breaks, I can always sit by the window and watch theirs), but I also realize how foolish they are.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

All of my windows have shutters that can be open top or bottom. We do keep the bottom halves closed and the top half open - for privacy not security. I don't like to think of people on the street looking in at us as we are comfortable in our home. I would never walk down the street looking in people's windows but this thread is proof that some people do just that.