Honored Contributor

Leaving doors unlocked is foolish.  Might as well put a sign out there inviting the criminals in.

Esteemed Contributor

It doesn't take a genius to realize that crime can happen anywhere to anyone.  If a person does not take the advice of their local police to lock their house and cars, and to leave lights on, then that is their choice.  If you don't listen to the advice of the police, whose advice do you take????

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sharke,  I just want to clarify one thing about the Petit case.  When the evil ones followed Mrs. Petit and girls home, they did not invade the home right away.  Much later in the night.  These men were hard core criminals, very cunning, and I am sure they were very cunning in the way they followed the Petit women home.  And there was more at play here than just money.  If it sounds like I am defensive of these victims, I sure am.  But I know you mean well.

Super Contributor

This can happen even in nice neighborhoods.  My parents live in a very nice gated community, and they were robbed in the middle of the day. The spookiest part was this happened when my father was home!   He had left the garage door open, and was mowing the back yard when it happened.  There must have been a couple of men because of how quickly they managed to do this. They got away with kayak, tiller,  a generator, and my dads large tool/power tool collection. Thousands of dollars worth -  all kept in a handy red metal a cabinet on wheels for easy transport.  

The only thing missing from inside was a playstation they kept for the grandkids. My father must have turned off the mower or something that told the theives to stop while they were ahead.   He had a false sense of security because they are in a nice area, and he was home.  Gated communities don't protect as well as folks believe. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

So all the neighbors have easily observed what was in the house by looking in the windows  because the houses are so close together, but when crooks were breaking in and walking out with all their possessions no one saw any of that.

This is what I don't understand. No one  did a thing, and looked the other way?

Esteemed Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

Oh,forgot to add, no crime here,everyone has guns!

No offense, but you really think that everyone having guns is a GOOD thing? 

Yes, I do. Do you just want the "bad guys" to have them?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

So all the neighbors have easily observed what was in the house by looking in the windows  because the houses are so close together, but when crooks were breaking in and walking out with all their possessions no one saw any of that.

This is what I don't understand. No one  did a thing, and looked the other way?

People don't want to get involved now days. Afraid of blow back on them. May have to testify in court, miss work, etc. One man I respect is John Walsh he helped a lot of people at the cost of his own heartbreak. His wife was remiss in keeping track of their son while shopping and he was taken. For further information- Google.

Respected Contributor

Not only do I not lock my doors,I went to bed with mt front door wide open....worst that could happen,racoons come in and eat all the cat food :-)

Trusted Contributor

I have a dog with a loud, frightening bark.  When the burglars broke in, they emptied food from the fridge onto the living room carpet to keep her busy while they stole electronics, jewelry, and cash. A neighbor down the street saw the truck but didn't give it a second thought. She said that since I frequently donate to charities, she thought that was what was going on at my house.  You never know...

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

Oh,forgot to add, no crime here,everyone has guns!

No offense, but you really think that everyone having guns is a GOOD thing? 

Yes, I do. Do you just want the "bad guys" to have them?

Hi sunala, Firstly, I have to tell 'you' I have often though of your comments, those being from a very insightful and savvy poster.

I do read a lot/posters/ here.

I will try to comment some 'out there' answer -

'but you (?maybe?) think that everyone having guns is a good thing' ,,,,,OR NOT?.... _>my reply, NO I do not know how this is to be regulated.

I mentioned in the earlier post of mine I would not have had the thought of ever having any option to have a gun, certainly not to engage thinking about one. So far, from 2 years ago, never been used!!!

I have used/shot a 357 mag.-approx.-five times on a target range 10+ yrs ago, + a rifle that a friend owned ( me,at age 18); it kicked my upper arm so severe, that was enough of any gun(s) for me.

There is reason to be thoughtful for 'those' whom are responsible of ownership/ gun. I would call it for protection first priority..YOUR HOME. I cannot speak for those who have them, THOSE whom we read about in the paper with very negative tragedies. Actually I do not have the perfect answer, (no one does); I can only speak for 'US'.( our family.  So, sunala, I do value the play on words of  g u n s.

Today's society makes up so many personalities and cultures, I do not know exactly this should be handled. How does the laws  find a way to regulate the good guys from the bad guys? ``- from another ` poster.

Last comment: I have {just been informed, via {tv} that a man from Harris county, TEXAS stepped up, shot a customer at a gas station, who was wearing a deputy uniform,  shot from the back, executing style. This has been becoming something as a questionable motive. I do NOT know!

*......I would read any information from anyone who knows more than me.......*               ||> absolute tragedy.

NAES