Esteemed Contributor

My blinds are closed at night always - my windows are long and everything is on one floor. Depending on the heat and sun, my blinds may or may not be open during the day. However, I have top down/bottom up blinds and usually just have the top portion lowered slightly to let light in. We have neighbors that never turn on outside lights and unless they are both out, their garage door is always up until late at night. Not hard to figure out when they are out of town - the garage door is down!! I always have my front door light on and well as the outside garage door lights.

Esteemed Contributor

blinds, as in venetian blinds?  oh my..

Something tells me that the house would have been robbed whether the window covering were drawn or not.  This sounds like an "inside job"...friends of friends or relatives.

My neighbor was robbed two years ago.  She had a fellow colleague and daughter over for lunch - the conversation got around to jewelry and she showed her guest's her small collection.  The next week, her home was robbed of only the good jewelry.  The box was emptied out on the bed and the selection was made.   The neighbors and the police soon figured out who the culprit was.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

One more thing Ladies..

If you buy expensive items, PLEASE DO NOT put the boxes and packaging on the curb for all the world to see what you bought.  There are thieves who canvass neighborhoods especially after the holidays to see what goodies you have.

Tear the boxes up and IF YOU CAN, burn them.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

A similar burglary happened to my friend who moved into a first floor apartment.   She often left the blinds open while she was at work. Her sound system and new large TV were in plain sight. She came home one afternoon to find her front door kicked in, all her valuables were stolen.

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

Oh,forgot to add, no crime here,everyone has guns!

No offense, but you really think that everyone having guns is a GOOD thing? 

Related image

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom - No, they aren't venetial blinds - they are Bali blinds - material - you can get blackout or light filtering  - but you can't see through them. They fold accordian style - Sorry, I don't think I did the best on the explanation!

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot imagine not locking doors in this world.  My good friend does not lock hers, I make her lock them when I visit or I would not be able to sleep. Honestly, I think it is just ridiculous to keep one's doors unlocked.

Honored Contributor

This kind of stuff is happening everywhere and it's not always inside jobs.  When it started happening in my area, our neighborhood formed a Neighborhood Watch.  We had a meeting with local police officers who gave us some tips and told us what was going on.

Items were being stolen right out of peoples' garages because they'd leave the garage door open and go out back to cut gas. Now if we are in the backyard doing yard work, the front garage door is closed.

Another tip was to keep your house closed when you aren't home.  Yes people are canvassing neighborhoods, looking in windows, etc.  And with many people working, neighbors don't see it happening.  When we are working, my sliding patio door blinds are closed and my curtains are closed on my picture windows in both my family and living rooms.  I open them when I come home and they are closed again before we go to sleep.

We were told also to report any suspicious vehicles.  Thieves are also scoping out neighborhoods to find out when homeowners are typically coming and going on a regular basis.  For over a week, there was a white van with 2 people sitting in it on the street behind me.  They were watching for when people left houses and when they returned, looking for a pattern.  Once the pattern was known, they broke into 2 houses on that street and took whatever they could.

After the fact, several neighbors realized they had seen this white van and just never bothered reporting it.    

Trusted Contributor

Nothing worse than being robbed - I know, my apartment was robbed and all my valuables and sentimental items were taken.  The police were no help at all!  I never got any of my items back and I didn't have rental insurance at the time.  I have since moved from that place and bought a house with a security system.  I still never feel safe.  It is such a violation knowing someone was in your home and went through your belongings.  I am thankful they didn't hurt my furbaby!  He was more important that all the "stuff" they stole from me and KARMA - well you know how that goes!

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom - No, they aren't venetial blinds - they are Bali blinds - material - you can get blackout or light filtering  - but you can't see through them. They fold accordian style - Sorry, I don't think I did the best on the explanation!

I don't get the big deal if they were venetian blinds.  Are we blind shaming now???????????