Honored Contributor

I live in New York state and needed to speak with someone at the DMV ( Department of Motor Vehicle). I won't get into why (long story), I called an 800 number, who knows in what part of the country the call goes to. The recording states I had a 40 minute hold time, I was on hold for over 11/2 hours. I keep thinking I've invested so much time already surely I must be next ( also it was important to speak to someone). The woman I spoke to was nice, no issue with her. Unfortunately she didn't have the answers for me, she transfers me to another department, I was on hold for over 20 minutes. This man that answered wanted no part of me or my problem. He then says he will transfer my call, I tell him I have been on hold for nearly two hours already, his response is that's just the way things are ma'am! I then am on hold for another 25 minutes until I get this woman, who was so condescending and rude to me, speaking to me like I was an idiot. I'm just wondering if being rude is part of the job description when you work at the DMV?

Honored Contributor

Re: My Experience With The DMV

[ Edited ]

Sounds like my experience the very last time I called Consolidated Communications, only in my case, by the time I got to the fourth person, she asked if I wanted to make a payment.  (No, our internet was still not working after three days; I needed technical support.)

When I said no, this after being on hold for an hour and 45 minutes and being transferred three times, she literally hung up on me!  No further transfer, no "I'm sorry you've been transferred to the wrong department again".  She just gave an annoyed sound and pulled the plug.

That was on a Friday.  On Monday, I finally was able to pull the plug on them and transfer my business to another company.  (Something which hadn't been an option until then.)

Unfortunately, you can't do that with the DMV.  I'm glad to say, where I am the people at DMV are much nicer!

(ETA:  I don't suppose there's any point in filing a complaint about the treatment you got?)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not sure what your issue is, but would you be able to show up in person at a Department of Motor Vehicle building and talk to a person face to face?

I just went last week in Pennsylvania. And there is a "Greeter" when you first walk in. She finds out why you are there and then checks all your paperwork and make sure everything is in order and sends you to the proper area.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   I feel your pain.  To answer your question.....apparently it is.  Don't get me wrong....once in a while you will come across someone nice, but for the most part, yes, they can be rude.  Here in Florida, when I have had to go in person and the clerk was entering my address and was at the part to enter the city, she was arguing with me and insisting I lived in a different city.  Even though it was the same address and city on my old license and everything!

Me thinks she just wanted to save face and wouldn't admit that SHE made a mistake.  Thank goodness most of my transactions with them can be dealt with online.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

I too had to phone the DMV and waited for more than an hour and the rep was not informed enough to answer my question.  I have no choice but to wait for them to completely open up.  Right now they are not taking appointments due to a backlog and they are only taking a limited number of walkin's and those people camp out all night.   Also, during this time when there was really no place to drive because so many businesses were not fully opened it seemed like a rip off to pay so much to renew the registration especially since we own 3 trucks.  But the thought of selling is just not a consideration since we always like having a backup.  I just know that if we sell we will regret it. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   In the good old days, I hated to deal with DMV.  I can't imagine what it must be like to work there because by the time we get to talk with anyone, we're already on edge and they are, too. 

I really wish more offices would offer callback service - although even that doesn't work if there are hundreds of people calling in.

Trusted Contributor

I live in NY and my brother is retired from DMV.  I would strongly suggest you make an appointment and go in person to DMV office.  I'm not kidding when I say things are very organized and efficient right now.  You'll be in and out in no time.  My friend had to renew her license and the entire process took about twenty minutes.  Give it a try.  

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2    I have ''always'' said --working at the DMV requires the ability to be rude and evil.  It seems to be their ''right'', goes along with the job description.  It is totally unacceptable but it's like there everywhere I go, every DMV office...and WHY ?!?!?  I would like to think that they will have to ''answer for it'' one day !

Respected Contributor

DMV and Post Office - you have to approach the counter like George Costanza approached the soup nazi. 

I spent an hour on hold 4 different times trying to get a Costco cash card owed me for buying a couch. I finally asked the CS counter in store. She said "I'll call". So I shopped for 45 minutes. When I came back she was still on hold. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2   I am sorry you had that unpleasant experience with the DMV.  Your last sentence in your post answered the question. For the most part, yes, being rude is part of the job description when working at DMV.  I know because the company that I work for deals alot with the motor vehicle agency.  Part of my job is to deal with them at least twice a month for company related issues.  Sometimes I will get a nice person who answers my questions and is very helpful.  Then there are the times that I get someone who is rude, nasty and could care less about helping me. I have seen it in person at DMV also.  I think because they are state workers, their jobs are secure no matter how rude they act.  Its not right, but what can you do!  Luckily, I don't have to deal with them as much as I used to.  We now have different company policies that do not involve MV as much.  Some people are just so unhappy in their jobs and they take it out on others. I hope your day is a good one and don't let people like that get you down.  You are too good for that!  BTW, our motor vehicle agency is New Jersey.