Honored Contributor

Re: My Doctor doing Phone Appointments

[ Edited ]

I live in N.J. (South Jersey)

My eye doctor is closed.  Rescheduled eye exam for the end of May.

"At this time" there is no way in he11 I would visit a doctor in person.  

For emergencies, I would have to think about it.  I probably would call an ambulance to take me to the ER as it's not overcrowded w/Covid patients in my town/county like they are in North Joisey.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I  did that earlier last week!  I had a PCP annual physical scheduled for months, and they changed to a phone conference instead.  I can check the case note on line, and the doctor had put in exactly how much time he spent with me, probably for billing.  I will be interested in seeing what that "visit" cosst me.  (I have a high deductable insurance plan, so I will get a bill).   I guess it makes sense if you are not actually sick and just need to check in or have Rx renewed.  Look for this to be the way of the future, even after COVID is done.

@Peaches McPhee This is exactly what I've been thinking and not just in regard to doctors.  Wondering if some of these changes will stay in place.  It's rare to be in a position of truly re-thinking how things are done.  

Respected Contributor

Theyre also doing it now, because Insurance companies are finally paying for these visits.  Otherwise they would be losing money or having the patient come in to be able to submit the visit.  Medicine is big business and the docs and the corporations that hire them arent giving their expertise away for free!

Esteemed Contributor

I've had a few video visits with doctors in the last few weeks.  Two were FaceTime, the others were on the practice's own app.  Video visits are pretty common now.  

They were great.  Not as thorough as in-person, of course, but they definitely have some benefit especially now when visits to medical offices are pretty much out of the question for many people.  I was very happy to have that option, and I'm sure I'll be doing it again.

(One was with an opthalmologist, and he asked that I send photos of my eye to him via text so he could have a close look.  We then FaceTimed, and it worked out really well.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I  did that earlier last week!  I had a PCP annual physical scheduled for months, and they changed to a phone conference instead.  I can check the case note on line, and the doctor had put in exactly how much time he spent with me, probably for billing.  I will be interested in seeing what that "visit" cosst me.  (I have a high deductable insurance plan, so I will get a bill).   I guess it makes sense if you are not actually sick and just need to check in or have Rx renewed.  Look for this to be the way of the future, even after COVID is done.

I am actually sick, and I thought it made a lot of sense when I did it.  It was a good way to get medical care without having to go out with respiratory symptoms that could have endangered others.   I think it's great that people who are sick or injured can be face to face with their doctors when needed in a more efficient and safer way.  

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I had remote appointments this week with our hospitality and our appointments went very well.  As we live three hours from our doctor (he is in Peoria AZ and we are in Show Low) we both feel that doing it this way every other appointment would save us time and money (hotel and 400 mile round trip); will suggest this to our Doctor when this is all over.  I'm sure that many things will be different once this is over including better leave policies, bringing strategic manufacturing back in country, fewer service workers, less hand shaking, more sticking up (hoarding), safer, healthier ships/planes.  The list is endless!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To tell you the truth, a phone appt is the same to me as one of the 3 month check ups.  They just ask a bunch of questions, no different than going to office, lol   Aside from taking my blood pressure my internist hasn't seen me without clothes for a check up in 5 years, lol  of course if I had any issues, or something I needed to show him , Iwould go in

As for now, My phone appt went well, and I rather liked it.   I live an hour or so in traffic to my doctors, it is an all day adventure for us.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

By reports here on the boards I'm assuming most, if not all, doctors are doing visits by phone.  I had one 2 weeks ago which was a total waste of time.  My annual eye exam appointment, made 4 months ago, was canceled.  Heavens knows when I'll be able to reschedule, and I really need to see that doctor.

I am 99% thinking of cancelling my Ophthalmologist appointment for this Tuesday/ 14th. 

If so inclined, would yours be eye level testing,  anything macular degeneration to retina? 

@Kachina624 

Honored Contributor

@NAES1    I bet your appointment has been canceled and you just don't know it.  Mine was the 24th and they hadn't called me; I called them.  I can't imagine they'd be doing eye exams, all things considered.

Yes I'm in the beginning stages of MD, and my vision has decreased markedly the past year.  Both of my parents had it so it didn't come as a surprise.  I need new glasses badly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  ~  I had remembered that  from February of 2019. That's why I asked:

I was in question. Wondering. Had the situation gone from 'M' to one of the other two. Eye pressure elevation, or wet- to dry? 

I have a very close wonderful physician friend that specializes in MD. 

I will be more than happy asking him any questions you may have. Also, understand this through him. 

Mine was a general 6 month follow up due to a small pea size cataract. Absolutely, totally insane having eyes EXPOSED to any machinery being used that close to eyes after so many patients. 

THE* > Perfect intro source to contact this.

It's not only the mouth, and nasal entrances.

I have learned that the ONE sneeze w/ ( cOv19) travels 27 meters through the spray...as powerful as an aerosol liquid sprayed directly 'shot' at anyone.  The old 6ft away is becoming old information with safety, if sneezing / coughing, and who really knows, if whom, is a carrier?

Very little do I take to the bank what the so called ` experts` are trying to explain. I am being my own advocate, at this time.

Thank you, dear friend. You are one of the more astute posters, here.  Heart