Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

personally yes, i find it odd. banks are doing lots of things differently now.  they will  no longer allow my renters to depost cash into my acct. must be check or money order.

i have no idea what difference it would make to them weather or not you own your house.

Well's Fargo won't allow us to deposit cash into our sons account, it has to be done through zelle.

Respected Contributor

It is unfortunate the banker with whom you met with made you feel uncomfortable. Her customer service skills were not the best. If asked she could have explained the reasons for those questions. You can still telephone the bank, or go back to the bank and inquire directly about the issue.

People forget it is your money.  The money you have in the bank, be it checking, savings, Cd's, or whatever keeps that bank going. In essence you are investing in that bank, with your money, and paying for the salaries of the people who service you.

The banker you dealt with did not need to ask those particular questions just to take money from one account to open another account. The paper trail will be on record. She was probably cross selling for mortgage purposes for her own advantage.

@kivah 

If you are uncomfortable have your questions answered or else you will go on wondering. Speak directly with the manager of the bank and explain you have been banking with them for 15 years and did not understand what was happening just to open a lousy CD. I am sure you will be treated with much respect.

Regular Contributor

@kivah  I have been in the banking world for 46 years.  It is very common for them to ask questions.  Most banks/credit unions etc have sales goals and they are trying to make their numbers but also trying to help out in case you could benefit from one of their offerings.  I went to the back room so to speak a few years ago because of sales, not my cup of tea.

It is what it is!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@kivahGee.  Every bank employee is a salesman trying to drum up new business for the bank.  Why the heck did you answer the questions?  Why didn't you ask her why she was asking those questions?  Why didn't you ask to speak to a manager and ask him what the questions were about?  Why ask others what you should do?  You gotta come here for "support"?  Think for yourself and make a decision based on how you feel the business treated you.

You are NASTY!!!!!!!!!!

I made 1,000,0000 decisions - and I'm VERY SMART!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

It’s called cross-selling. When I was in retail banking as a college student, every customer-facing employee was required to do it. It was part of the job. We had a monthly goal for the number of “successes” that were expected . When someone tries it with me, I simply tell them that I understand it’s part of their job, but I want them to stop. If there is a product I’m interested in, I’ll ask.  

I'm almost 80 yrs young - and have had bank accounts for 60 years. Never happened to me before. I have 2 accts - 1 with a credit union and 1 with a major bank.It just started happening - recently.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
That’s why I do all my banking online. I love being able to take a photo of a check with my phone and it deposits into my account instantly. When the lady asked if you owned your own home, I would have said “ yes I do, why do you ask?” That usually ends further questions.

I've never used a cell phone - I'm OLD!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Credit Union

[ Edited ]

@chiclets wrote:

It is unfortunate the banker with whom you met with made you feel uncomfortable. Her customer service skills were not the best. If asked she could have explained the reasons for those questions. You can still telephone the bank, or go back to the bank and inquire directly about the issue.

People forget it is your money.  The money you have in the bank, be it checking, savings, Cd's, or whatever keeps that bank going. In essence you are investing in that bank, with your money, and paying for the salaries of the people who service you.

The banker you dealt with did not need to ask those particular questions just to take money from one account to open another account. The paper trail will be on record. She was probably cross selling for mortgage purposes for her own advantage.

@kivah 

If you are uncomfortable have your questions answered or else you will go on wondering. Speak directly with the manager of the bank and explain you have been banking with them for 15 years and did not understand what was happening just to open a lousy CD. I am sure you will be treated with much respect.

I emailed the credit union twice - and NO RESPONSE!!!!!! I have a few CD's with AllyBank (thru the mail) - and I'll get more from them in the future. It just seemed convenient to get my 2nd CD thru the credit union - (AllyBank's interest rate is a lot higher as well). 

Respected Contributor

@kivah 

You are a nice person, I would not be so nice.

I would not settle for no response, and not having my questions answered.

My comment would be the very next time you are out in the area where the credit union bank is go in and speak face to face with the manager and have your questions addressed.

Letting it go provides no answer and wondering is annoying and can be stressful.

I would not let it go until I had some satisfaction, and that is why you are nicer person.

Age has respect and wisdom. Old is just an old word.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@kivah 

You are a nice person, I would not be so nice.

I would not settle for no response, and not having my questions answered.

My comment would be the very next time you are out in the area where the credit union bank is go in and speak face to face with the manager and have your questions addressed.

Letting it go provides no answer and wondering is annoying and can be stressful.

I would not let it go until I had some satisfaction, and that is why you are nicer person.

Age has respect and wisdom. Old is just an old word.

You are also a nice person --- but I'll just leave it alone. I won't be getting any more CDs from them - I'll just make deposits into my Money Market A/C. I'm sure they didn't have a logical answer when I emailed them!!!!

Respected Contributor

@kivah  I had a similar experience and my story is long and I'm still angry.   I think I was angry mine was with my CU I'd been member for over 40 years.  As soon as they got me to the back I knew what was happening to me and told no and got up and left.  

My best friend's career was working in a bank and after college she began training which was transferring/learning all the other sections in the bank at that location and then became the manager.   

She retired two years ago and she told me she left bc she'd grown up with and gotten to know all the regular customers, their kids and grandkids over the years.  She used to help some of the elderly who had no one to reconcile their checkbooks and if they were sustaining a lot of fees, she'd waive those. 

Said she retired when she and other managers at other locations were sent to outside training on how to get people to buy into other services (the ones with very high fees that benefit the bank) and she specifically mentioned annuities.  She said she managed to stay under the radar but eventually felt it was becoming more of a quota they wanted her to meet.  Said she couldn't look these people in the eye pushing products that she knew they couldn't afford and not necessarily good for their situations so she handed in her retirement papers.