Respected Contributor

Re: My Car Overheated on the Highway this morning !

Most insurance companies have road side assistance.  Hopefully, you won't have more damage by continuing to drive instead of pulling over and getting a tow.  You have an 11 yr old Chevy with 91,000 miles.  Shocked you haven't had trouble before this.  Glad you and your grandson are safe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This happened to me about 20 years ago on a local road. I was stopped at a light when all h*ll broke loose - the car made an awful screeching noise and every light on the dashboard lit up. I was able to hobble into a parking lot and call AAA. They towed me to a service station and gave me a ride home.

The culprit was the water pump. Unbeknownst to me, that squeaking noise I heard as I drove the car was a symptom of the problem. It was expensive to repair because it was hard to access. Ever since then, every time I'd hear that squeaky noise coming from someone's car, I'd think their water pump was getting ready to go.

I'm glad you were able to get off the highway safely. Good luck!

ETA: We've been AAA members since 1976. Every time we needed them, we got the standard 1 hour response time reply, then they usually showed up within 15-20 minutes. One recent exception was when DS got a flat tire about 10 miles from home in the wee hours of the morning. The AAA ETA was 6a.m., which was unacceptable. DH cancelled the service call and picked him up. We re-placed the service call the next morning (a Sunday). The AAA truck showed up about 5 minutes after we got there and changed the tire. 

Respected Contributor

Car trouble is the worst! I love AAA and have had to call them a few times during our brutally. hot weather last summer when DH's car and my own car's batteries couldn't handle the heat. 

Hope they can fix whatever the problem is quickly without breaking the bank!

Respected Contributor

As soon as my kids got their own car we made sure to add them to AAA. It really helped my DD out of a scary situation when she was driving back to college and her car just quit on the interstate at night. I also like the roadtrip planning they do.

Respected Contributor

So here's the update on my car fiasco yesterday.  It was the Radiator that went out so it was replaced along with the hose then they had to charge the AC. It was also time to change the transmission fluid according to the maintenance schedule so I had them take care of that as well. Total costs $1,870.  Thanks for the kind words regarding out safely getting to the repair shop

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes, that was my first thought but decided to wait for the results. Mechanics in the family lol.

So glad everything worked out. Now your vehicle is on the road again.
Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

So here's the update on my car fiasco yesterday.  It was the Radiator that went out so it was replaced along with the hose then they had to charge the AC. It was also time to change the transmission fluid according to the maintenance schedule so I had them take care of that as well. Total costs $1,870.  Thanks for the kind words regarding out safely getting to the repair shop

Even though it was a bit expensive at least there was no damage to the engine.

Respected Contributor

I got my car back today and it's running fine now. Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Our 2015 Buick Lacrosse was in the shop for AC and rear shocks. The estimate came to $2000; I told them not to repair ( instead we now have a Toyota Crown 2024). There is a point when the cost for repairs is too much for how much longer you'd need to drive it to make it worth doing. The Crown is pricey but we feel with luck it may be last car we buy I'm 80 and DH is in mid 70s.

Super Contributor

I'm glad you're okay, and I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I hope you're able to get this resolved soon.