Trusted Contributor

Multiple Piercings and Tattoos

I see so many young woman with  multiple piercings in their lips, nose, eye brows......and tattoos all down their arms, on their backs, on their necks..... I can see maybe one small tattoo....ot one piercing....but so many? It does not look nice, not feminine  all. Actually it looks rather dirty and nasty to me. 

Yes I am old school, 60 years old with no tattoos or piercing other than pierced ears. I question if it is some sort of addiction like plastic surgery stemming from feeling inadequate or needing attention?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Multiple Piercings and Tattoos

Leave the psychology to the professionals.  

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have three tattoos. One on my left shoulder, one on my upper left arm, and one on my right calf.

I don't look "dirty" or "nasty" with them.

They all mean something to me.

I did it for ME, not for attention, or because I felt "inadequate" or anything else.

Respected Contributor

I see it as a form of expression - I'm in my 60s and I really see no problem with it.  To each their own. 

Esteemed Contributor

For me I am concerned about their future.  Accidents and illness happens.  If they ever needed a skin graff or a tram flap to rebuild a breast due to cancer.  The tattoo would be quite an issue.  Tissue for the face or areas where we are exposed would also look awful.  Some may say that they can get cadaver skin, etc. but not always does the body accept the transplants and not always does the graff look right. 

Another danger is hepatitis - very real.

No thank you. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

I read an interesting essay on this topic once. The author posited that young people do this to become members of a family, a clan, to feel less displaced in the world. Not getting enough love at home so they conform to the group that accepts them. I look at these young people differently now than I did, and try to express kindness whenever possible. Many of my dog's doggy daycare workers are pierced and tatted, and I love them because they show so much love to my dog. He loves them, too. Maybe that's what we should do, look at people through our dog's eyes and heart.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I have a tattoo question.  Would the picture below translate well as a tattoo and how would it hold up over time?

Cats-eyes.jpg
The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

@June222 wrote:

I see so many young woman with  multiple piercings in their lips, nose, eye brows......and tattoos all down their arms, on their backs, on their necks..... I can see maybe one small tattoo....ot one piercing....but so many? It does not look nice, not feminine  all. Actually it looks rather dirty and nasty to me. 

Yes I am old school, 60 years old with no tattoos or piercing other than pierced ears. I question if it is some sort of addiction like plastic surgery stemming from feeling inadequate or needing attention?  

Needing attention - "LOOK AT ME". Multiple piercings and lots of tatoos look ridiculous and are REALLY unattractive.

Respected Contributor

it's a form of self expression these young people are doing these days.  i myself will be curious, if i'm still around, how they feel about it when they get older.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

For me I am concerned about their future.  Accidents and illness happens.  If they ever needed a skin graff or a tram flap to rebuild a breast due to cancer.  The tattoo would be quite an issue.  Tissue for the face or areas where we are exposed would also look awful.  Some may say that they can get cadaver skin, etc. but not always does the body accept the transplants and not always does the graff look right. 

Another danger is hepatitis - very real.

No thank you. 

A reputable tattoo artist, worth their salt, ALWAYS uses new needles for each client.

The risk of getting hepatitis is low.