Honored Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

What's very frustrating (for me, anyway) is that people post numerous threads about the same thing. I think there are 3-4 threads just in CC about the alligator and the little boy. It's like certain posters simply have to be the first to post anything that's gruesome or tragic. When something updates, they run to the forums to post a new thread about it, instead of simply posting on the existing one.

Why is one thread not enough? Why can't everybody post on one thread about the subject?

If the posts are discussing different aspects of the story, they often need to be separate, or following multiple things in one gets confusing.

Take this week, for example. If one thread is about the events as they progress through the day, another about the validity of gun control to prevent this type of incident, and another about expressing grief/concerns/prayers over the event, then I don't have a problem looking at the same topic from different angles.

If someone keeps posting the same thing, especially when other threads have been taken down and they just won't let it go, that bugs me.

Honored Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

Can we have a separate place under forums where gruesome. gorey, bloody, and disturbing topics can be posted.

OR

A new rule put in place that a spoiler tag has to be in the title?

Please consider this.

EXCELLENT idea! What would be even BETTER is to NOT have them at all.

Funny, though, it seems that a lot of the people who claim 'disturbing' are on there and posting too. 

If it is so disturbing, why do they even open it, let alone participate in the conversations? 

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Noel7

This is not my community board. It is QVC's.

I said I respect other's opinions and maybe you have the Best Answer and that is Among Friends.

I am not asking anyone to conform and I am not going to fight about it either.

@butterfly123

I think you did expect others to conform to how you wanted this board. You asked a Moderator to look into changing what could be and could not be posted here.  You wanted it changed from how it has been.

Trusted Contributor
I think people who are too sensitive to read a news story should stay off the internet....and not watch television. These stories are splashed everyplace.
Honored Contributor

If you do not want to read a post,you do not have to, seems easy enough to do it that way ,to me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Re: Moderator Question

[ Edited ]

Seriously...I cannot believe that would even be asked.

We are all adults - we all have access to world topics. You can tell by the topic line what the contents are pretty much.  If you still cannot tell and don't want to get the vapors DO NOT CLICK on it. Simple enough.

I think the forums are pretty much Big Brothered often lol. On occasion at night somebody gets a hair up their ....and they post vulgar things with an obvious vulgar name. Instead of just ignoring it ..we are all adults..we know the facts of life ..time and time again you have people showing their shock and outrage over it. Guess what..by doing that you just gave that person validation. They do it for the shock and attention by posting just that boom...they achieved their desired result. Yesterday morning after a bunch of those vulgar posts somebody posted a whole new thread howtthey were not coming back til the forums were cleaned up..BOOM validation for the poster..they then sit back and are happy - desired result acheived. 

All we have to do is..IGNORE..and report if you feel necessary. Staff will come along and clean it up as soon as they can.

As for topic that may be gory etc. This is life. We can't censor everything. How such people go about daily living if just reading a topic line is beyond what they can handle. Real life cannot be separate and edited to please.

Maybe online forums are not meant for them if they are that easily offended and there sensibilities just cannot handle it.

Also though, why shouldn't it be discussed? People are not linking autopsy photos, or photos of the body..they are discussing a very popular albeit tragic news story.

There are a ton of sub topics to the side..so now we want to add GORY NEWS STORY to the bunch?? Seriously, I think if that is what you need - maybe then any forum that is not sugar and fluff with unicorns and rainbows are just not for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't always post in Community Chat threads, but I've enjoyed reading some of them. I see the big stories on the news, and this forum gives me a way to see how they are being interpreted by the general public.  Sometimes events happen on the other side of the country, and I love to see the insights provided by the locals who are members of this forum.  Occasionally I saw posters getting miffed about a topic, but personally I didn't view it as super sensitive material. I am turned off by the political commentary that has appeared in Viewpoints/Community Chat over the years because sometimes it appeared one sided, and people would pile on anyone who opposed.  As many of you have stated, I just avoid the thread if it's something I don't want to read about.

Respected Contributor

Re: Moderator Question

[ Edited ]

I think readers here can just avoid opening threads.  I saw the postings about the alligator the other day & chose not to visit them based solely on their titles.  Did I find out what happened?  Of course I did; I watch some news on tv every day.  I still haven't looked in the threads here, though, & won't.  Some people want to discuss such events here & I think they should be able to do so within the rules.  

Honored Contributor

It feels like  you want us censored.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

We all have an individual span of control which allows us to self-censor and to filter/avoid that which we don't want to see, hear, read, etc.  There is no need to expand that span to control what others post and or read.

While true that most threads indicate subject matter in their name, it would be helpful if all thread names required some reference to subject matter, rather than have cutesy/sensational/intentionally vague names created for the sole purpose of making folks open the thread in order to determine the subject.