Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

The noon stand up is what we did on base. Same thing at the movies on base before it would start. In the PX, on the job, in clubhouses or dorms; you would be doing whatever and at noon, ALL stopped and active duty stood at attention while the National Anthem played. I thought ALL bases did this and soon found out they did not (don't ask me why). This may be where it comes from; I don't know.

Mission BBQ is everywhere in my area and to be honest, the food isn't that great. I know for a fact that my husbands' office ONLY uses them due to the "we support our forces" aspect. Though others would like to use a different company, it isn't going to happen. They do a lot of catering for the Feds as well; again perhaps due to their "message" of support. 

Every restaurant has either a 5 ton, a Humvee or a tank outside their business with MISSION BBQ sprayed across it in black and the flag flying atop (which is brought in at night). Again, not sure if this is done at all of them, but with so many bases, compounds, government installations around, it feeds into the norm around here.

@SahmIam.  When I was a brand-new lieutenant in the USAF, one evening I attended a movie alone at the base theater.   As usual, they played the National Anthem before the movie.  Believe it or not, a group of 5 or 6 airmen sitting in the front row, never even stood up.  That was in the '60s and I still remember it vividly.

On air force bases, the National Anthem is played daily over the PA system at 5PM when the flag in front of headquarters is lowered.  Everyone outside stands at attention and salutes.  If in a car, you pull over and sit at attention.  The "Officer of the Day" conducts the flag ceremony and accepts the folded flag from the air police who lower it.  I got to do this several times as Officer of the Day.

That is how i grew up. 

Honored Contributor

God bless the owners of the restaurant.  There should be more like them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: Mission BBQ

[ Edited ]

I would never call it strange, just patriotic. Maybe the owner is a veteran. No one is required to eat there, especially at noon, if you don’t want to participate. Seems much ado about nothing. We don’t have that chain here so can’t comment about the food, but I’m in Texas, so...😎

Honored Contributor

I ate at one of these restaurants once a few years back. I was out with visitng family and everyone could agree on BBQ, and Mission BBQ was the first such place we came across. None of us knew about the theme. (My first assumption was that it might be some sort of fancy craft style place because mission makes me think of arts and crafts furniture.) The food was so so, and not many people were there at the time.

The manager told us all about the restaurant concept, and it was very inspiring. I had the impression that it was his place. And I sort of felt like I was expected to keep expressing gratitude and support as he kept talking, which I did. I even felt compelled to tell him that my father, who was with us and seldom discusses his service, was/is a vet. That was more personal than I wanted to get at that moment, even though I knew he meant well. I was hungry, not chatty. It was a little like being witnessed to.

At that particular establishment, when I think about it (which I haven't until now) what keeps me from feeling drawn back there is that I missed a strong sense of hospitality. What I want from any restaurant regardless of concept or theme is great food and for somoene to welcome and take care of me for the moment, not the other way around.

But I also think that for vets with PTSD it might be a great safe space for them to go to because hopefully someone on staff or at another table would know how to safely care for them if they had an event.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The supermarket I go to plays a patriotic song as you are going into the store.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

59766F63-3CE3-4DB0-AC3C-AA454EF66DFE.jpeg

Oh, please...LOL   Pompous fools.  This sign would just make me sit on my butt and eat the food I paid for.  Why?  Because I can. 

Respected Contributor

Well, thankfully, I won't ever eat there. Not because I don't want to support everyone they do but because I would feel FORCED into patriotism. 

Oh, and I'm an Army brat who supports the military but not blindly.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

59766F63-3CE3-4DB0-AC3C-AA454EF66DFE.jpeg

Oh, please...LOL   Pompous fools.  This sign would just make me sit on my butt and eat the food I paid for.  Why?  Because I can. 

Alrighty then.

Honored Contributor

FTLOG-I never said anybody HERE was offended.  Some of you take things on such a personal level that it makes one wonder sometimes.

Anyway, the website does mention how you might see a tribute to the stars and stripes during the noon lunch but not specifics.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh