Honored Contributor

59766F63-3CE3-4DB0-AC3C-AA454EF66DFE.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I recall seeing a sign on the front door, something to the effect of "join us at noon for our national anthem." That was in one of their Annapolis restaurants, it may not be at every location.

@Mj12  Nice!

It probably is.  I don't recall seeing it on the door.

Respected Contributor

If you look on their website and click on Hiring Heros, they mention standing at noon.

Hiring Heros

Veterans Wanted...

America counted on you. So will MISSION BBQ.

Heroes like you are welcome here from the moment you walk in our doors. On our walls are the authentic symbols of bravery and courage shared with us by American Heroes. Every day, we salute the USA together, all standing at attention for the National Anthem, at noon. You’ll be part of something meaningful and significant.

Also  on  facebook Jan. 2016

Everyday at Noon, everyone at MISSION stands to salute the flag during the playing of our National Anthem. Stop in during lunch to join us in celebration of the country we love.

Image may contain: stripes
Honored Contributor

Re: Mission BBQ

[ Edited ]

For the record, my earlier comments weren't about 'being offended' but about time and place, as a couple of others have said... I don't expect to pop up from the dinner table to sing the national anthem when out for a meal... Nothing wrong with it, but it just struck me as unusual... Could be that anyone offended by another perspective is looking to be offended...  Since it's said they do provide notification, agree, if you don't want to participate, lots of BBQ joints out there to choose from...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor
I’m not offended, I just find it an odd thing to do in a restaurant. I generally think BBQ outside of Memphis is bad so it’s not even a restaurant I’d go to.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mission BBQ

[ Edited ]

The noon stand up is what we did on base. Same thing at the movies on base before it would start. In the PX, on the job, in clubhouses or dorms; you would be doing whatever and at noon, ALL stopped and active duty stood at attention while the National Anthem played. I thought ALL bases did this and soon found out they did not (don't ask me why). This may be where it comes from; I don't know.

Mission BBQ is everywhere in my area and to be honest, the food isn't that great. I know for a fact that my husbands' office ONLY uses them due to the "we support our forces" aspect. Though others would like to use a different company, it isn't going to happen. They do a lot of catering for the Feds as well; again perhaps due to their "message" of support. 

Every restaurant has either a 5 ton, a Humvee or a tank outside their business with MISSION BBQ sprayed across it in black and the flag flying atop (which is brought in at night). Again, not sure if this is done at all of them, but with so many bases, compounds, government installations around, it feeds into the norm around here.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

The noon stand up is what we did on base. Same thing at the movies on base before it would start. In the PX, on the job, in clubhouses or dorms; you would be doing whatever and at noon, ALL stopped and active duty stood at attention while the National Anthem played. I thought ALL bases did this and soon found out they did not (don't ask me why). This may be where it comes from; I don't know.

Mission BBQ is everywhere in my area and to be honest, the food isn't that great. I know for a fact that my husbands' office ONLY uses them due to the "we support our forces" aspect. Though others would like to use a different company, it isn't going to happen. They do a lot of catering for the Feds as well; again perhaps due to their "message" of support. 

Every restaurant has either a 5 ton, a Humvee or a tank outside their business with MISSION BBQ sprayed across it in black and the flag flying atop (which is brought in at night). Again, not sure if this is done at all of them, but with so many bases, compounds, government installations around, it feeds into the norm around here.

@SahmIam  Now that you mention it, I think I remember it being played when husband was stationed in Turkey many moons ago. Yes, at noon and before a movie.

Respected Contributor

Mission BBQ website: list of national

and local charitable organizations

they support

https://mission-bbq.com/giving-back

Our young men and women in uniform. Veterans who served with honor. Our local Police, Firefighters and First Responders who make Our Community a better place to live. They’re the people we respect most of all, so MISSION BBQ tries to give back in return. From fundraisers to service projects, we have your back, donating over $10,000,000 supporting vital charities since opening our doors in 2011.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@SahmIam.  When I was a brand-new lieutenant in the USAF, one evening I attended a movie alone at the base theater.   As usual, they played the National Anthem before the movie.  Believe it or not, a group of 5 or 6 airmen sitting in the front row, never even stood up.  That was in the '60s and I still remember it vividly.

On air force bases, the National Anthem is played daily over the PA system at 5PM when the flag in front of headquarters is lowered.  Everyone outside stands at attention and salutes.  If in a car, you pull over and sit at attention.  The "Officer of the Day" conducts the flag ceremony and accepts the folded flag from the air police who lower it.  I got to do this several times as Officer of the Day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@garl wrote:

What I find strange is this post.  I am quite certain that Maryland is, indeed, in the United States of America, where most restaurants ARE public and the Star SpangleD Banner is the national anthem.  If it offends you to support first responders and/or this nation in a public manner, just stay away. 

@garl. You need to re-read these posts.  Nobody said they were OFFENDED, it was just mentioned that it was a strange custom and very unexpected.  I think you'll have to agree with that.  Please don't put words in. anyone's mouth!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment