Honored Contributor

Re: Missing any USPS mail? Maybe this is why....

Sounds like the setup at the apartment I lived in. I had to walk a long way to the bank of mailboxes. It was over in a courtyard by the pool, so you couldn’t drive close to it. It was a big hassle.
Valued Contributor

I can't help but think all the companies and employees that were accussed of lying when they said packages were shipped.  

Once I called a company to ask for tracking on a order and the CS person tracked it and told me there was a train derailment.  I was worried about and deaths or injuries.  The CS rep could not belive I said that.  She said people had been yelling at her all day about it.

Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Postal Worker "Too Stressed" to Deliver Mail, Rents Storage Unit to Hide It.

posted by R.J. Johnson - @rickerthewriter -  Jan 30, 2020

A Virginia postal worker has pleaded guilty to charges of delay of mail by a postal employee after he was caught with a public storage unit filled with mail he never delivered.

Jason Delacruz, who worked as a city carrier assistant with the U.S. Postal Service at the Chesapeake Main Post Office in Chesapeake, Virginia, since June 2018, told authorities that he felt "pressured" and was unable to "make time" to complete his daily mail route, court documents said.

Delacruz said that beginning in November or December of 2018, he began to hide the leftover mail, until he eventually needed to rent a public storage unit for $49 per month for the "sole purpose of storing mail he could not deliver" in February 2019.

Delacruz told authorities that while he intended to deliver the mail that was stored in the storage unit, he fell behind and was never able to make up his scheduled deliveries. The missing mail was discovered when U.S. Post Office officials received a complaint about a postal service employee who was unloading mail into a public storage unit facility in Virginia Beach.

A witness took photos of Delacruz unloading the mail as well as a photo of Delacruz's license plate and submitted it to officials.

Agents from the United States Postal Service Office of Inspector General discovered nearly 5,000 piece of mail in the storage unit, with 97 pieces of first-class mail that included mail from the Department of Motor Vehicles, insurance companies, the IRS, bank statements and other tax return documents.

Another 115 pieces of pre-sorted and second-class mail, including magazines and other publications were also discovered. The rest was made up of mostly 4,700 other pieces of assorted advertisement mail.

Agents also discovered one undelivered package and six bundles of advertisement coupons from the company "RetailMeNot."

The Post Office eventually delivered all of the first-class mail, but the advertisement mail was discarded.

"The employee no longer works for the Postal Service," USPS public relations manager said" He resigned in 2019 and he worked for 14 months prior to his resignation."

Delacruz pleaded guilty to delay of mail matter by officer or employee. He's scheduled to be sentenced on February 12 in federal

Thats bad. Wonder how often people bend under pressure and do things like this. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Well there was a time when doing anything illegal with the mail was a Felony and you'd be jailed.

I have sent birthday cards with gift cards in them and they've been stolen.  It has happened quite often.

The postal workers told me to put the cards in a brown envelope.

Which I now do.  I send most family members birthday, congradulation, etc, cards always with gift cards.

Now every single card goes into those brown envelopes.

Hummm??? The cards now make it to the people on the address.

It gets expensive having to mail them that way, but at least I know they'll make it.

As I've said before.  Break the law.  Slap on the wrist....

Betcha even if this guy gets put in jail he'll be out in a few months.

Another tip is insure for like 50.00 and keep your receipt that's been working for me don't cost that much extra and it holds their feet to the fire. If don't get where it's suppose to you go online and file a claim. KEEP YOUR RECEIPT !

I insured a gift that I sent to my newborn nephew.  It never got there, and the post office refused to pay.  They said I had waited too long to put in the claim.  I sent them the paperwork that clearly showed I was well within the time limit.  And the postmaster at my local post office interceded on my behalf.  They denied the claim, I appealed (twice), and they denied it every time.

So I agree about insuring, and I agree about keeping receipts. But I just wanted to add that insuring doesn't guarantee anything.  I will never have full faith in it again.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

How you receive your mail may not be at the top of your list of things to think about when you are considering when buying a new home.

If you are a senior citizen, handicapped or simply don’t feel like walking (or driving) up to a block away every day to fetch your mail, however, it is something that you might want to move up the list.

Under pressure to cut costs wherever possible, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is now requiring builders and developers to purchase and install kiosks holding a cluster of individual mail boxes.

By delivering mail to kiosks, instead of door-to-door or even individual street-side mailboxes, the postal service is saving money on gasoline and wear-and-tear on USPS vehicles. And because letter carriers can deliver to more mailboxes when they are clustered – or fewer carriers are needed to deliver the same amount of mail – it’s saving money on salaries, too.

cluster-mailbox.jpg

I lived in a garden apartment community, and we had these exact mailboxes.  They were great - super-secure, and packages were left in the large bottom compartments (which were also locked). They held a lot more mail than it looks from the outside.  There were also a couple of slots for outgoing mail. The mailboxes were very conveniently located, too.  If a package didn't fit in a big compartment (which was very rare), it was delivered to my door. 

I think they're fine in that setting, but in a house I want my mail delivered to my door - unless maybe the houses were pretty close together and they were in a spot that made sense.

Regular Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Well there was a time when doing anything illegal with the mail was a Felony and you'd be jailed.

I have sent birthday cards with gift cards in them and they've been stolen.  It has happened quite often.

The postal workers told me to put the cards in a brown envelope.

Which I now do.  I send most family members birthday, congradulation, etc, cards always with gift cards.

Now every single card goes into those brown envelopes.

Hummm??? The cards now make it to the people on the address.

It gets expensive having to mail them that way, but at least I know they'll make it.

As I've said before.  Break the law.  Slap on the wrist....

Betcha even if this guy gets put in jail he'll be out in a few months.

Another tip is insure for like 50.00 and keep your receipt that's been working for me don't cost that much extra and it holds their feet to the fire. If don't get where it's suppose to you go online and file a claim. KEEP YOUR RECEIPT !

I insured a gift that I sent to my newborn nephew.  It never got there, and the post office refused to pay.  They said I had waited too long to put in the claim.  I sent them the paperwork that clearly showed I was well within the time limit.  And the postmaster at my local post office interceded on my behalf.  They denied the claim, I appealed (twice), and they denied it every time.

So I agree about insuring, and I agree about keeping receipts. But I just wanted to add that insuring doesn't guarantee anything.  I will never have full faith in it again.

What I learned was if the post office has it marked "delivered", then that insurance doesn't mean anything because that's end of their responsibility.

I'm sure there are many people who would receive an alert indicating the package was just delivered so they check and it's not there. So, you contact the delivery service (post office, UPS, FedEx, ect.) and the package will sometimes show up anywhere from a few hours to days.