Esteemed Contributor

Re: Missing any USPS mail? Maybe this is why....

[ Edited ]

Our current postal lady does a poor job, putting mail in the wrong boxes.  Our mail ends up all over. Several neighbors have complained to the Post Office but were told she heads the local union.  We’re probably stuck with her until she retires.  

Our neighbor doesn’t check his mail often so about once a month he comes over to our house with a pile of our mail that was put in his box.  It usually includes bills that are now past due.  I even had another neighbor, who I never met before, come to my house and start yelling at me because my mail kept going into his box.  He demanded to know what was going on.  I told him it was an ongoing problem with the postal lady.  I do wonder about mail we never see that ends up in Timbuktu. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

cluster-mailbox.jpg

This is what we have in my neighborhood. The P.O. requires builders of new developments to install these. I will say it works very well for us. If the package is too big for the large box the mail carrier delivers it to the front door. We have only 65 homes in my neighborhood and mostly senior citizens. If someone is unable to walk to the mail boxes or to drive another neighbor gets their mail for them. It's not a big inconvenience. 

@50Mickey   Once in a while a package will be delivered to our door, too. 

The only problem with these is that thieves can remove the whole back panel and steal a lot more mail than trying to steal out of one or two from the front.

Maybe these newer ones are more secure in the back.

Our mail persons are nice.  I also have to say the few times we have to go to the post office all the employees are super friendly.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

They just stare at you and then somebody else comes up behind you and they want U to move along.

I don't even complain any more I try not to use the post office any more then is necessary.

Fedex is the best, but, pricey.

@SharkE  Uh uh... We'll have to agree to disagree about Fedex. If I know something is going to be sent via Fedex, I do everything in my power to find an alternative so as not to order it. Where I am, they are the most inconsistent of them all and you never know what set of their rules they're going to follow on any given day or whether to expect the package at my door or over at the condo office. Just today I got an email from Amazon and had to call Fedex about a package they supposedly tried to deliver. Guess what, I was home all day and there was no attempted delivery notice at either my door or the condo office. If they'd attempted to deliver it, I'd have got it. My absolute last choice. I could write a book about all their screw-ups and the circuitous routes they use that often have packages going well out of the way and then coming back before they're actually delivered. I still prefer UPS.to the others.

Fed Ex is why I no longer order from Walmart, they are a nightmare.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@stevieb    not in my neighborhood, but, in all the new subdivisions going up around here in Tx. Now, they have all the mailboxes for the community in one spot, no home delivery. You walk or drive up to the community mail area and those little tiny boxes is all you can have I guess.

have to go to post office to get your QVC and other stuff.

That’s horrible for elderly and disabled people. What about people with no car? I hope this isn’t going to be a national trend. How awful.

If I have Hardship or Medical Problems, how do I request Door Delivery?

How to request door delivery due to a medical condition when your mailbox is on the curb or street.

Nov 1, 2018FAQ
Article Number
Customer Information

"Hardship" or "Medical Problems" is defined as an illness or handicap which would present a physical challenge for an individual to retrieve mail.

To request door delivery, you need to write a letter requesting this change and attach a statement from a Doctor. The doctor's statement should indicate you are unable to collect your mail from a curb or centralized mailbox. Both your letter and the doctor's statement must be sent to the Post Office™ that delivers your mail for approval or denial. Final determination on whether or not door delivery will be granted will be made by the Post Office. 

Request letters should be addressed to:

POSTMASTER
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
<YOUR CITY, STATE AND ZIP CODE>

Note:  Any approval will be temporary (further information can be obtained from the local Post Office).

The foregoing is from https://faq.usps.com/s/article/If-I-have-Hardship-or-Medical-Problems-how-do-I-request-Door-Delivery

The door delivery exception for the physically handicapped has been codified by a 1998 law:  "Mail Delivery to Physically Handicapped Act."

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

They just stare at you and then somebody else comes up behind you and they want U to move along.

I don't even complain any more I try not to use the post office any more then is necessary.

Fedex is the best, but, pricey.

@SharkE  Uh uh... We'll have to agree to disagree about Fedex. If I know something is going to be sent via Fedex, I do everything in my power to find an alternative so as not to order it. Where I am, they are the most inconsistent of them all and you never know what set of their rules they're going to follow on any given day or whether to expect the package at my door or over at the condo office. Just today I got an email from Amazon and had to call Fedex about a package they supposedly tried to deliver. Guess what, I was home all day and there was no attempted delivery notice at either my door or the condo office. If they'd attempted to deliver it, I'd have got it. My absolute last choice. I could write a book about all their screw-ups and the circuitous routes they use that often have packages going well out of the way and then coming back before they're actually delivered. I still prefer UPS.to the others.

None of them worth dog P is what I think. If you hire people who don't want to work that's what you get.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The real crime is USPS not hiring enough workers!!  Many are forced to handle two routes many days due to shortage of workers.  A good friend worked as a part time fill in for delivery and he would routinely work several hours late to get his mail delivered due to the volume and having to deliver different routes nearly daily that he was unfamiliar with.  To make matters worse was the constant questioning by management why he (as well as many others) were always so late.  I hope this person files a grievance or hires an attorney and fights this since his intention was to eventually deliver and not to steal.  Even regular carriers who have the same route often are rushed and have to work late to get things delivered.   

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Not the first time this has happened. Maybe paying to store it is new. Where I used to live a postal worker died and they found bags of undelivered mail in his attic. 

Someone I know knew a post office employee who threw the mail in the woods.  The worker didn't get prosecuted either.  Outrageous.

Honored Contributor

If there ever was a day when mail was mail and not unsolicited junk mail then, pehaps, the postal system worked. The vast majority of mail most of us get here goes directly into trash cans sitting in front of the mail boxes. If our letter carriers weren't inundated with having to deliver mail that no one asked for and no one wants, maybe they could do a better job with letters, parcels, business mail and so on.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@SharkE : The bottom part of my driveway is somewhat steep but thankfully DH can still get mail- I can't walk down the driveway. But in 2015 DH health issues prevented him getting the mail. The doctor provided a form from the post office and his written statement about our disability to request permission to put a mail box at our door to have mail delivered. We were told to get a post office box. We had the doctors request submitted for us as individuals and finally as a couple and all request were denied. We miss our retired postman because daily he would bring all the mail and packages directly to our front door - ring the bell and put everything in the chair next to the front door. I have signed up for emails of daily mail delivery.Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

cluster-mailbox.jpg

This is what we have in my neighborhood. The P.O. requires builders of new developments to install these. I will say it works very well for us. If the package is too big for the large box the mail carrier delivers it to the front door. We have only 65 homes in my neighborhood and mostly senior citizens. If someone is unable to walk to the mail boxes or to drive another neighbor gets their mail for them. It's not a big inconvenience. 

@50Mickey   Once in a while a package will be delivered to our door, too. 

The only problem with these is that thieves can remove the whole back panel and steal a lot more mail than trying to steal out of one or two from the front.

Maybe these newer ones are more secure in the back.

Our mail persons are nice.  I also have to say the few times we have to go to the post office all the employees are super friendly.

I have to say that I feel very fortunate as every delivery source that comes to my home is excellent.