Honored Contributor

Without going into detail, some people 'zero-in' to, say, a nice, considerate person.

I guess I'm saying that, sometimes, a not-so-nice person, for some reason, dislikes a nice person.  Therefore, the nasty comments. 

Looking back, years ago,  I'm guessing that I've read just about every 'self help' book written, back in those days.

Didn't help the nasty person(s) whatsoever.  lol

The only thing I now suggest is to just smile or chuckle.  It drives 'them' crazy.  But, they will try harder the next time you see them.  But, then, again.........You win!  Smiley Happy

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I definitely try to avoid such people, but that is not always possible.  I also try to think of them with pity.  How terrible must their lives be if they are always negative, irritated, and petty?  They must be so hard on the inside.

Peaches, you're much nicer than me. Sometimes I'd just like to smack 'em!

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway 

Not real sure of your meaning when you use the word "close". For me anyone, family member or not, that is as you describe, will not be close to me. I may not be able to change how we are related, but I can, and I will change our relationship.

Anyone that looks at life as only being negative, will never be "close" to me. I look and live my life optimistically, and I am not adverse to saying that directly to anyone. I usually am not the one that has to end how we relate, those people don't like being around me. For me it's a win, win!

How others choose to handle people like that in their life is obviously up to them. I make no bones to anyone how I feel and how I choose to live my life. They do not have to figure me out, I tell them. I am apologetic to no one.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Sometimes a person's perception is clouded by one's own negativity-a negativity one does not see in one's own self.

Being negative isn't always.......negative.  Sometimes it can be realism.

To paraphrase E. F. Schumacher-"we can only see with the eye we have grown to see".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Miserable People

[ Edited ]

I was raised by parents who were very negative:  one extremely critical and the other an alcoholic.  With that background my first thought about a new experience is often negative but I am usually able to shake it off as I gain some perspective on it.  I don't normally share those initial negative feelings with anyone, although my one DIL and I joke around about it.  

I agree with @Caker's assessment that being negative is often realism.  

Valued Contributor

I had an office mate who was negative and hateful (mainly politics set her off) - after the last Presidential election, she got much worse - she started posting crazy signs on her desk and ranting and raving most of the day - it was like she was having a temper tantrum that never stopped. I ended up transferring to a different department, Best decision ever!

Honored Contributor

Two very common factors I've noticed with those who are sour on the human condition:

1) They are often in constant physical pain of some sort.

2) They watch news or very negative or slanted (can be any kind of slant or depressing content) programming on tv all day long -- this also means they are not occupied with fulfilling activities during the day, and that they do not have an adequete outlet to feel powerful and able to make the changes in the world that they would like to see.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

I know someone who usually has something negative to say when I'm happy about something. If I email her about something I'm happy about, she'll either ignore the email, say something sarcastic, or try to minimize it.

I suspect she's like that with others as well.

@Daisy Sunflower   I have a "friend" who is like that.  We've been friends since we were both 10 years old so it's hard to break up with her.  Instead I see and speak less and less with her.

When I have something happy to say she can find a way to bring me down.

Just this past Christmas when she came to my house at the front door as I was greeting her & her DH, I mentioned that my adult kids helped me a lot since having a large gathering for the holidays can be stressful and a lot of work. 

Instead of just saying you have great kids or that was nice of them, she in a very nasty sarcastic tone asked why did I need help?.......when she hosts a gathering she does it all by herself, and on & on it went (for almost 10 minutes!) about how she is so efficient.  I had to hear how she would do it all by herself when she worked full time, etc. and now that she's retired she still does it all by herself!!

I felt like handing both of them their coats back and asking her to leave....of course I didn't but I was fuming.  She talks like that to me way too much and I just don't want to be around someone like that anymore....who needs that negativity?!

Honored Contributor

Haddon9:  

Yes, 'ten-four' (I hear you).

Always making themselves sound superior/smarter/etc.

They must have very low self-esteem whenever they aren't putting someone else down.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I ignore someone if their negative outlook bothers me.  I also ignore perpetually perky Pollyanna/Mary Poppins life is rainbows and unicorns people.