Respected Contributor

Re: Mild rant regarding young kids and sell phones.

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I agree with your decision @SahmIam about not letting a 4th grader have a cell phone and it does makes you wonder -hmmm what did the teacher do before the invention of the app she wants the kids to use?

What did teachers do before computers? 

What did people do before the advent of telephones?

What did people do before electricity?

To me, this question is a non sequitor. 

The fact is, time marches on, technology marches on.  I mean, you are posting on some type of electronic device right now.  What did you do beforehand?

This new technology is part of what kids are learning and what will be part of their lives now and forevermore, however much we that didn't grow up with it lament that fact.

Now, I can understand the reasons why the o/p doesn't want her kids to have a cell phone.  And she has that right to make those parameters for her kids, of course.

However,  you can't be an ostrich, and think that the outside world won't impact you in some way at some time.

I'd say you might have to get some kind of simple phone that your kids can use for circumstances like these. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Re: Mild rant regarding young kids, school and cell phones.

No grade school child needs a cell phone. Teachers need to do their job and teach not depend on electronics to do her job. We are turning out children that cannot do anything without some electronics. When the power goes off they cannot figure anything out. They cannot make change unless a machine tells them how much change to give the customer. Very sad.

Adults do not need to be on a phone 24/7. No one is that important. Sick of being in a public place and have everyone on their phones so rude.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The looks of astonishment by my 8th graders when I told them I didnt want or need to be available to them (or anyone) 24/7 by cell phone.

The response was, 'What if someone needs to speak with you'?

Keep calling or leave a message. Sooner or later I'll get back depending on how urgent I THINK it is.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam Schools are all about "policy."  Call the superintendent and ask whether it is "policy" that a student must have a cell phone or get an F.  You can leave the question on his/her voicemail tonight.

Keep in mind that "policy" is what protects the district from just about everything and it is the superintendent's job to make sure staff follow it.  If you don't hear back the next school day, call the superindendent's office and ask for the email of the president of the school board and all school board members.  Email them the question.  You should get an answer by Mon. or Tues. 

PS:  Use this technique every time the school staff bullies you in the future.