Trusted Contributor

Re: Mild rant regarding young kids, school and cell phones.

@Noel7  Regrettably,  I must correct your pronoun.   I did not write the article, simply posted as an example.  I was able to search many other such articles referring to the "heads" in this area limiting computers, phones and many electronic devices.  I was simply posting an alternate view that of gurus that design the items limiting what their progeny use.  As Roseanne roseannadanna said, "It's always something"

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It may be a tech world but that doesn't mean that the OP has to change her views about phones and kids, either. 

Those parents not wanting to advance really can't complain when 8 yrs from now, classmates are receiving scholarships to colleges & advancing quickly....when their 'left behind' kid is living the basement trying to write a resume w/ twigs & leaves.  

That's not what we're talking about here.  I don't consider an 8 year old child getting a cell phone an advancement for that kid.   

Trusted Contributor

I think we ought to require that teacher and principal to go "do their thing" in a "Third World Country" and see how fast thier "requirements" for an assignment change. Maybe then the assignments and expectations will change to include more basic survival and life skills that cell phones have no real bearing on .... things other countries deem as real education that foster independance, self suffiency ...survival that lasts instead of entitlement and dependancy that can vanish very quickly in the blink of an eye. Would be interesting to see that teacher and principals" mentality change so quickly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stormygirl wrote:

I think we ought to require that teacher and principal to go "do their thing" in a "Third World Country" and see how fast thier "requirements" for an assignment change. Maybe then the assignments and expectations will change to include more basic survival and life skills that cell phones have no real bearing on .... things other countries deem as real education that foster independance, self suffiency ...survival that lasts instead of entitlement and dependancy that can vanish very quickly in the blink of an eye. Would be interesting to see that teacher and principals" mentality change so quickly.

.......as we complain about it while typing on a computer.

Ah....the irony. @sidsmom

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It may be a tech world but that doesn't mean that the OP has to change her views about phones and kids, either. 

Those parents not wanting to advance really can't complain when 8 yrs from now, classmates are receiving scholarships to colleges & advancing quickly....when their 'left behind' kid is living the basement trying to write a resume w/ twigs & leaves.  

That's not what we're talking about here.  I don't consider an 8 year old child getting a cell phone an advancement for that kid.   

Both my children went to good schools ....free ride for college and grad school was paid for through scholarships. I only say this because neither of them would have gotten a cell phone from us at the age of 8 because a cell phone has nothing to do with increasing your intellectual abilities. In fact it may be a deterrent and distraction to becoming educated. An 8 year old might need a cell phone because they are latch key kids and mom and dad want to make sure they are OK but as a device used for school projects? There are plenty of other ways to become educated...

So I completely agree with you....

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom Yea I see that irony too.....is why I have this love/hate relationship with technology ...especially my husbands computer (refuse to own a cell phone, tablet etc) and only in last few years agreed to us getting this basic computer.. (he has to pay for it and this very limited service or it goes) LOL. Many people in Jamiaca and Africa own cells and computers now but just do not deem it as a neccesity or a right nor is it used as a requirement in school projects (so not to shame those who do not have those things) Noone is punished who doesnt own one I think was my point.

Valued Contributor

OMG I so agree.  My daughters rule is that her kids must be 15 and have excellent grades before they get a cell phone.  My sister has the same rules for her boys.  This isn't due to lack of funds.   The schools are ridiculous about it.  They assume all the kids carry smart phones.  The coaches for sports teams send out group texts and my grandkids couldn't get them as well.  But just let some kid get into trouble by sending an inappropriate text or posting on social media and the schools and the public chastise the parents for "allowing" the kids to do this.  They are children after all.  When this technology is in their hands and they are immature, the chances are good some will misuse it.  

Respected Contributor

@henderson wrote:

I used to work for a school district (district office in Instructional Services).  I have never heard of anything so crazy -- you need to have a phone for the assignment or your son gets an "F" or if he stays home an unexcused absence!  I would contact the school principal and if he/she doesn't intervene I would go to the Superintenent of Schools, then the School Board.  An alternate assignment should be given to your child.

ITA. Actually something about this story doesn't add up. And big deal, take the F. It's 4th grade. He'll still get into Med School.

Honored Contributor

Some families simply do not have the extra money per month to spend on some electronics.  As I've said here before, in this day and age, my kids would be just as smart doing their research on a computer at home.  And receiving an 'F' grade just because a child doesn't have a specific gadget is ridiculous.  Could be that that student is more intelligent than many of the others who have the gadgets.   It's all a matter of how children process the information; what they store in their minds, and how they use the information, and their ability to communicate their intelligence/information to others.   And having a good memory helps, too. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@henderson wrote:

I used to work for a school district (district office in Instructional Services).  I have never heard of anything so crazy -- you need to have a phone for the assignment or your son gets an "F" or if he stays home an unexcused absence!  I would contact the school principal and if he/she doesn't intervene I would go to the Superintenent of Schools, then the School Board.  An alternate assignment should be given to your child.

ITA. Actually something about this story doesn't add up. And big deal, take the F. It's 4th grade. He'll still get into Med School.

No...A fourth grader does not need a smartphone or any kind of cell phone for class trips or class assignments unless the school wants to supply them and he should not be penalized for rules his parents have set in place.

Most class trips are the same year after year after year and if this is one of them, what did they do before the invention of cell phones, apps and tablets...camera, paper and pencil.