Respected Contributor

I would like to know what people do with their outfits once the event is over.  I know that Kim K. borrowed Marilyn Monroe's dress but what about the other women's outfits.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
The gowns posted here aren't as bad as a few I've seen; I think some are very pretty.

That said, this appears to be one of the most snobbish events, ever. I have to laugh, too, at the museum being called an "invaluable public asset." LOL For whom? (Check out their web site.) Certainly not mere mortals--the public--who, as a condition of entering the museum where this event took place, must comply with rules these special people evidently didn't have to comply with. And check out some of the photos, with elites being tended to. I'd rather just look at and admire the attire, rather rather than see "pictures which are worth a thousand words."

@Moonlady Wrong.  Just wrong.  That's your perception.  That museum is open to the public, not just the wealthy.  It has been a mainstay amongst some of the most world renowned museums in our country.  If you don't get it, then you don't get it.  Wha they do is akin to saving old black and white movies and restoring them.  Art.  Not just the costumes the folks wear.

No one there has purchased their outfit.  Designers from all backgrounds have worked with those who are in attendance for purpose of interpreting the look they are trying to convey.  It's time consuming and those dresses and items being worn will go to the Museum.  

This is fine art, like paintings, and Opera and more.  If you don't get it, you don't get it.  Not only do very high falutt'n people get to go.  Lesser well known people must get an invitation.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I can understand not liking all the attendees but I don’t understand trash-talking an art museum.

They don't know any better @bikerbabe .  That's because some stars are involved and they automatically think it's a free bee and nice new clothing they get to keep.  That's not how it works.  The artists (actors and such) don't buy the tickets to the events.  The studios or the record companies buy tables and decide who among their stars they want to invite.  Not all are well known and many are not part of the 1%.  They may be popular but hardly among the Bezos and Musk's of the world, who by the way was there as well.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I've been to the museum and I can't even remember if we had to pay, but I've slipped into the gift store many times and bought boxes of really nice Christmas cards at up to 70% off after season.  Prints from hundreds of years ago. Beautiful peices of art.

I'm very particular about what I send out to loved ones and they always have what I'm looking for.  They carry a great selection of religious cards which don't seem to be offered at many places anymore.

Very unique offerings and I'm glad that such places still exist for this purpose alone.

Frequent Contributor
Very silly...all of it
Respected Contributor

I love all the outfits. Some are beautiful and some are outrageous, but they are fascinating to look at. I find it much more interesting than the typical outfits worn at awards ceremonies. This about art, and if you don't like it then move along. There are plenty of wasteful, self-indulgent things taking place that are 100% more offensive and obnoxious than an event celebrating art.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

E811DF79-43A9-435C-9017-4B06E3F05B18.jpeg

Model Imaan Hamman in Oscar de la Renta

Honored Contributor

843E3B8A-7C35-45D3-A3F3-DD393C036FF6.jpeg

Frequent Contributor
With what's going on I the world today..you would think people would understand these people could care less.
Respected Contributor

@Melbalee "With what's going on I the world today..you would think people would understand these people could care less."

I agree with you.  Most of the people who attend this event couldn't care less about raising money for a museum.  Most of them just see it as a photo opportunity to get more publicity.