Honored Contributor

Just read a Washington Post article that was headlined something like:   "Married Men

Work Harder, Smarter, and Make More Money".

For some reason, It wouldn't let me link to the piece.  But it was pretty definitive, and goes along with the other "good news" research that shows that men who are married are also less violent in general, and therefore less of a threat to society.

Agree, or not?

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Just read a Washington Post article that was headlined something like:   "Married Men

For some reason, It wouldn't let me link to the piece.  But it was pretty definitive, toand goes along with the other "good news" research that shows that men who are married are also less violent in general, and therefore less of a threat to society.

Agree, or not?

DISAGREE - my second husband became a lazy crybaby who we called 'The Wifey'.  He announced one day, after not bringing home a paycheck for 18 months that 'I worked all those years, I am not going back to work'.  He was 42.   

1st Husband was an excellent provider before and after the marriage.

So marriage does not make a man.

Esteemed Contributor

Single men are a threat to society?????????

Was the article dated 1950?

Honored Contributor

Re: Men Should Get Married!

[ Edited ]

Well if it was researched thoroughly, had lots of subjects studied and not just a few hundred and taken over a period of time and in all demographics, it would be hard to disprove.

I can actually believe it.

I know/knew this wouldn't go over well here, though....

Respected Contributor

People Should Read More Critically!

The author of the article is one W. Bradford Wilcox, who "directs the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia and serves as a visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and a senior fellow at the Institute for Family Studies."

From the NMP site:

"The National Marriage Project (NMP) is a nonpartisan, nonsectarian, and interdisciplinary initiative located at the University of Virginia. The Project's mission is to provide research and analysis on the health of marriage in America, to analyze the social and cultural forces shaping contemporary marriage, and to identify strategies to increase marital quality and stability."

This is a pro-marriage piece written by the director of a pro-marriage group. I'd take the whole thing with a major grain of salt.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

For some reason, It wouldn't let me link to the piece.  But it was pretty definitive, and goes along with the other "good news" research that shows that men who are married are also less violent in general, and therefore less of a threat to society.

Agree, or not?

Men who are married also live longer.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Well if it was researched thoroughly, had lots of subjects studied and not just a few hundred and taken over a period of time and in all demographics, it would be hard to disprove.

I can actually believe it.

I know/knew this wouldn't go over well here, though....

Right @Lucky Charm

Honored Contributor

I would imagine a happily married man who isn't out chasing tail every night would no doubt make a better employee and be advanced quicker than one who was up drinking and ... then comes to work in the morning exhaused and hungover. It doesn't take a huge study to figure that one out.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

People Should Read More Critically!

The author of the article is one W. Bradford Wilcox, who "directs the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia and serves as a visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and a senior fellow at the Institute for Family Studies."

From the NMP site:

"The National Marriage Project (NMP) is a nonpartisan, nonsectarian, and interdisciplinary initiative located at the University of Virginia. The Project's mission is to provide research and analysis on the health of marriage in America, to analyze the social and cultural forces shaping contemporary marriage, and to identify strategies to increase marital quality and stability."

This is a pro-marriage piece written by the director of a pro-marriage group. I'd take the whole thing with a major grain of salt.

Well that puts it in a whole new light.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Agree, or not?

@Oznell

WaPo now wants people to pay to read their articles online.  You get a couple a month for free and then they block reading more until the next month.