Honored Contributor

A few days ago, I saw an SUV with the entire back window inscribed with a memorial including the name of the deceased  and the dates of their birth and death.  The size was a bit uncommon but these car window memorials are not.

I just don't get it. Somehow, it seems in poor taste to me. Am I missing something here? Is it a common practice in your area?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Memorials On Car Windows

I hate seeing them on car windows.  I don't like seeing them on the streets or roads where someone died in a car accident either.  

Trusted Contributor

I have seen those too and don't care for them either. 

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this once . I felt bad for the person as the deceased  date  had been atleast a decade , however do think it is important to remeber loved ones lost. 

Honored Contributor

I do not care for them at all.  I hate to say it is disrespectful to the Deceased but it comes close in my view.  It is on a car that will one day be in a junk yard ravaged for parts.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I don't have an issue with however one wants to memorialize loved ones, as it's none of my affair, but I would rather that the driver be able to actually see out the back window of the vehicle.

ETA - I'm not out and about that much anymore, so I haven't seen this at all yet.

Super Contributor

I've seen this alot in our area.  It's a heavily military populated area and I thought it was because of that, but not sure.  Many seems to be military related but not always.  I don't particularly like it either.  But then I'm not crazy about the family line ups, including the family pets on back windows either.  

Honored Contributor

My girlfriend's daughter was killed at 20 years old. Her other daughter had the memorial put on my girlfriend's car rear window.

My girlfriend wished that her daughter had not gone ahead and had the memorial put on her car. She said she felt bad enough about her daughter's death. She didn't want to be reminded every time she walked by her car. Plus, she really didn't want the world to see her private pain.

Honored Contributor

in general, it is uncommon practice where i live. i do not see them often at all. in poor taste?......not to me. i think everyone wants to grieve and remember in their own ways and it is not my car. if somehow it brings them comfort, then that is fine by me.

when my father and aunt were killed, my cousin put a roadside memorial for his mom and kept it up for several years. we did not put anything there for my father. i did not want to remember where he died, i wanted to remember and celebrate how he lived.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like those either.  What are other drives supposed to do with that information?  I think it is in poor taste.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead