Honored Contributor

Realistic looking pfishing email from Apple today. Take a look, just in case you get one.

[ Edited ]

The pfishing emails are getting more realistic. I received this one from 'Apple.' today. There are errors, and neither my husband nor I have OS 12.2. Of course I went to Apple's own site to see if I could log in to my account and I can do so. I also sent a copy to reportphishing@apple.com. I thought that maybe I had looked at the Apple Support while on my Samsung phone and that is why the email said I was on a device we don't recognize, but it has to be just a case of dumb luck from the pfishing sender. Apple does have a page on their website in which they say they will lock you out and you can access the page by searching for appleid . apple .com which made this email all the more credible. I'm just grateful for the spelling and capitalization errors. EEF1D4F8-4AC3-424E-BCEA-2167365688C3.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Realistic looking pfishing email from Apple today. Take a look, just in case you get one.

@Mindy D wrote:

The pfishing emails are getting more realistic. I received this one from 'Apple.' today. There are errors, and neither my husband or I have os 12.2. Of course I went to Apple own site to see if I could log in to my account and I can do so. I also sent a copy to reportphishing@apple.com. I thought that maybe I had looked at the Apple Support while on my Samsung phone and that is why the email said I was on a device we don't recognize, but it has to be just a case of dumb luck from the pfishing sender. Apple does have a page on their website in which they say they will lock you out and you can access the page by searching for appleid . apple .com which made this email all the more credible. I'm just grateful for the spelling and capitalization errors. EEF1D4F8-4AC3-424E-BCEA-2167365688C3.jpeg

I never, ever click on Amy links in emails unless I requested them. I go directly to the site.

Honored Contributor

Re: Realistic looking pfishing email from Apple today. Take a look, just in case you get one.

@Mindy D I never ever open these kinds of junk emails, tho 99% of them go directly to my spam folder.

Respected Contributor

I think you have to be suspicious of anything from Apple (or Microsoft).  These companies have millions of customers and have no ability to contact certain customers about their individual issues.  We had several phone calls from "Apple" the other day.

Who falls for this garbage?  Not me!

Honored Contributor

Those of you that said you have to be suspicious, you're right. Unfortunately, when you get a real contact from someone you don't know you might mistakenly ignore it. It seems that texts for second shot appointments in Miami, at Hard Rock Stadium, were sent out and many people thought they were SPAM because their filter said so. They ignored their texts. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of LOCKED MESSAGES.  I got one from Apple and one from Chase Bank.  Ignore them please.  And there is another scam out there.  AMAZON.   A friend emails you for a gift card to send to their friend or relative because they are having trouble with their credit card.  No way not to open it at first because it is your friend.  But at that point you may answer which you would normally do.  Not really the person who is your friend.

I just answered and said NO which was followed by a phone call telling  me I was hacked for $600 on my Amazon card.  I hung up and called Amazon and my bank.  I was saved because I did not DO THE PHONE THING and give out information.  But a friiend had to work on a $800 purchase and a hack on his mothers accounts that were in escrow. 

When an email comes in .... no matter who it is from use your mouse on the address and see if it matches what you know to be true.  My friend had a slight chance in email address which I did not notice.  

How did it start... A distribution list using TO instead of BCC which is blind copy.  Lots of names exposed who were friends or  belonged to the same group.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don’t pick up calls from numbers I dont recognize.  Today I received a message that my warranty on my computer is expiring.  I don’t have an extended warranty.  Also got a text today saying my payment was declined to Netflix.  I don’t have Netflix.  They  appear real, and I know some people that their parents have given information out (so sad).   The call did not come through as spam risk, like many do.  

Now they say it will be the same with vaccine issues.  So sad on an issue that is so concerning for everyone.  

Honored Contributor

I received one that said it was from the USPS. I knew it wasn't real. I read that if you click on the links provided they give you a virus.

Valued Contributor

I get emails saying that my PayPal account has been suspended. Thankfully, I have learned NOT to open such emails but rather go to my PayPal account to learn the status. As expected, my account is fine. Its pretty sad that there are so many crooks out there.

Esteemed Contributor

I got message saying that my protected warranty on McAfee is expiring soon. I don't have McAfee; I have Norton, so I knew it was fake. 

Also got an email once about my Chase bank account being compromised; I don't have Chase. I'm thinking some of these scammers aren't very smart.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain