Honored Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have a question, it is about the flags that are put on the graves, is this for just the men that served ,or died in a war? I ask because my husband spent 10 years in the air force, never went to war .

@goldensrbest, for those that died while serving their country.   Flags are placed on each grave..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

When my dad came home from Viet Nam he was not the same person. That war changed him so much that eventually it caused so many problems to ensue...his health and our family fell apart. It was a sad time in my life.

Honored Contributor

So many have and had problems when they returned, that war was  one we should not had got involved in, our guys did their duty,and treated like trash,the other wars before men were honored.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I don't think all parts of the country experienced that bad treatment of the VN vets that some speak of. When my brother came home from his first tour he said he had some exposure to it in Calif. but no where else as he travelled across the country. He was a career Air Force pilot & had to go back for a second tour, and that was when he was killed.

Respected Contributor
151949 wrote:My brother died in Viet Nam in 1968. I remember going with my parents & my SIL & the funeral director to the Air Force base to meet the plane bringing in his body. I thought , Wow there are certainly a lot of civilians here & a lot of hearses. They opened the rear of the plane and OMG - it was completely filled with flag draped coffins.There was a set of dogtags lying on top of each coffin to ID the occupant. Anyone who thinks Memorial Day is a holiday celebrating America - that is not what it is about.Our country is currently at war, we have been since Sept 11, 2001. The very best of our young men & women are coming home every day as my brother did. Our country is at war - yet everyone here just goes along living their lives - complaining about paying taxes, disrespecting the flag , disrespecting those who run our country etc etc. It would be awfully nice if we could stand together - as a country united - the way the greatest generation did in WWll - and give our military the backing they need to go and win this war.

151949, you touched my heart and I personally thank you for the wonderful message about our beautiful country, our flag, our president and the brave men and women who have served and sacrificed to keep us free. I will be honoring all military, including those from the Civil War, Revolutionary War, to current, who have served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice to keep us the United States of America!
Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have a question, it is about the flags that are put on the graves, is this for just the men that served ,or died in a war? I ask because my husband spent 10 years in the air force, never went to war .

@goldensrbest, for those that died while serving their country.   Flags are placed on each grave..

The flags are placed on the grave of any veteran, regardless of the circumstances and time of death (service connected or not) at all cemeteries in this area.

Honored Contributor

Just a FYI, know the difference:

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry you lost your brother,  Viet Nam was a gruesome war. All wars are of course.  You are right when you said they didn't get the recognition. I remember it too well.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I salute your brother.  

Honored Contributor

I hope all remember what Memorial Day is about.

It is not the "official start to summer" or a day to shop for bargains.

It is a somber day to remember all those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Trusted Contributor

Well said, @151949.

Memorial Day has always been a solemn day for me, remembering those that have made and continue to make the ultimate sacrifice for my freedom, and their families. Dad's injuries sustained in Korea surely shortened his life. He was proud to have served his country and was extremely grateful for the privilege. Your brother's sacrifice is appreciated, @151949. Unfortunately, the press gets skewed toward the malcontents more than those appreciative. 

dee