Honored Contributor

My dad spent his whole adult life serving in the military. He was in three wars. He lived a short life, died when he was in his 50s. I believe the military took it's toll.

Honored Contributor

@151949 I am so sorry for your family's loss.  Your brother was a hero who died for his country.

Many families lost a loved one so that we Americans and other people might be free.  Memorial Day is a day to remember all the sacrifices our young men and women made during war and peace times and lost their lives doing it.

Thank you for the reminder.

Honored Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMeeMy Uncle was a post WWll engineer who worked for the government on the development of nuclear bombs. They lived out in California at Edwards AFB and he was one of those guys you see in pictures in a foxhole watching them set of bombs in the desert. You'd think he would have gotten cancer but , miraculously he lived to be 91 years old and died from kidney failure. However, every one of his 4 children eventually got cancer - 2 ovarian and 2 breast. All but one died. He spent the later years of his life racked with guilt because he felt they got this so young (one was only 19) because of living so close to where they set off those bombs. Being in the military is no easy way of life.

Respected Contributor

"The home of the free... because of the brave."

So true.  I love that quote.  THANK YOU to each one who has served.  We truly owe you our lives.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

@151949 and other's who lost a loved one in war, I am so sorry.. They truly gave their all.  I am of the VietNam era, my first husband served, as my husband now served- both proudly for our country. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

best-photos-25

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry @151949-

That is so sad-what a heartbreaking never to be forgotten day. I wish it never happened to anyone. Saying a prayer for your brother and you.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

It is shameful how the boys were treated when they came home from vietnam, and those that gave their lives, none received the respect they should had, those times were not good.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It is shameful how the boys were treated when they came home from vietnam, and those that gave their lives, none received the respect they should had, those times were not good.

@goldensrbest, how very true.  My husband was talking to a gentleman that served in the Coast Guard, this morning.  I mentioned how so, so many were forgotten from VietNam, both alive and those that gave.  Those times were not good at all.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I have a question, it is about the flags that are put on the graves, is this for just the men that served ,or died in a war? I ask because my husband spent 10 years in the air force, never went to war .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.