Honored Contributor

Meghan Started Young

[ Edited ]

5afffd84736d3.JPG

Meghan twelve stood against an advertisement for "Ivory Dishwashing Liquid" sexiest overtones. As a social studies assignment back in elementary school

Meghan and her classmates studied various advertisements to access their messages and was deeply disturbed because Ivory Dishwashing Detergent hinted that household chores were a woman's job. The advertisement had the line, "Women all over America are fighting greasy pots and pans". The sexiest line did not hold well with her and in the video she is seen saying-

"I don't think it's right for kids to grow up thinking only Mom does everything".

Meghan wrote letters to the then-first lady Hillary Clinton, American women's rights attorney Gloria Allred, American journalist Linda Ellerbee, and also to the detergent brand. Her activism brought her encouragement and the sexist line in the message was changed. She later appeared in the Nickelodeon show and spoke about her stand against sexism and her support for feminism. 

FaceBook- [Nickelodeon Remember When] To watch Meghan's interview. 

Respected Contributor

The more I see and learn of her the more impressed i am .....

Honored Contributor

I've seen that story on several tv shows, very impressive that she did have those ideas and thoughts at such an early age.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Started Young

[ Edited ]

Meghan (1).jpg

Respected Contributor

Her feminist views are a thing of the past now.

Honored Contributor

Such a cutie then too....

Honored Contributor

It wasn't meant as any sort of critical comment, I just mentioned that I had seen it. Everything doesn't have to be taken so literally. 

Honored Contributor

I saw this last week on the news, i got to say i was impressed that she  was  actually at a young age standing up for what she thought.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Her feminist views are a thing of the past now.

I don't think so. I think she will modernize the royal family. I hope so. The Queen even changed the rule a few years ago about daughters inheriting the throne. Slow progress.

Honored Contributor

Kids that age are just parroting their parents.  But I do applaud her mom for encouraging her daughter's public expression and teaching her that girls are not limited in any way.