Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

A new and disturbing situation:  in some American cities there are protests against bringing patients to their locale.  When did we lose our humanity?

It sadly reminds me of the very early days of AIDS, before AIDS even had a name, when it was just known as the "gay cancer".

Same fear, same mentality of "get rid of them! Ship them off to a desolate island! NIMBY!"

That was 40 years ago.

My parents loved watching Phil Donahue, and I remember one episode where he had three young brothers on who were hemophiliacs, who through blood transfusions, had contracted AIDS.

As I said, this was in the very, early days of AIDS, and we had just learned that it could be transferred through blood.

The hatred that these three young boys faced was unreal.

The parents had the slur "f*gs" spray painted on their garage door, rocks thrown through their windows,

As a young child watching this episode, I was confused as to why such hatred was being openly shown towards these three young brothers, when it was not their fault that they had contracted AIDS.

Please, please, please do NOT misunderstand me, I never, ever blame anyone for contracting AIDS, not then, and certainly not now. 

Anyway, the fear and hatred that I saw then, 40 years ago, is what I am seeing today with the COVID-19 virus.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I seem to remember the same thing happening with SARS. And with Ebola a few years ago.

Honored Contributor

I have fear of the virus.It is an ordeal for older people and very costly too.I have read that 14 percent of people are reinfected...so no immunity.the thought of years of wondering if it will be safe to travel or will you get stuck in a foreign country under quarantine or on a ship that no one wants in their port.

if you get the flu your odds are better and you develop immunity for that season at least.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   I too want to wish you a quick recovery.  Take care of yourself and stay well😺

Esteemed Contributor

Per WSJ: Medical personnel in Europe are being instructed to reuse disposable masks because that's all they have and there are no more in the pipeline!

Honored Contributor

Re: Medical masks

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

Per WSJ: Medical personnel in Europe are being instructed to reuse disposable masks because that's all they have and there are no more in the pipeline!

They need to contact Marge in Wichita.

Heard she has a stockpile in her basement jUsT iN cASe

[sarcasm]

Valued Contributor

My aunt gets that done next week. After seeing her & my Dad go thru surgery for it I stay out of the sun. My Dad had a large area on his back & it left a scar. He grew up on a farm & back when he was a child no one knew how bad those sunburns could be in the future. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Medical masks

[ Edited ]

Sure. "Supply and demand"-- the artificial component of that spiraling thanks to alarmists admittedly buying cases of masks for their own use, not to mention price gouging. We weren't all born yesterday.

The OP's unfortunate situation reflects what happens when selfish people feel entitled to deplete medical supplies.

What worries you masters you.
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 

Hi Kachina624--I had the Moh's surgery for Squamous cell carcinoma last Nov.  It was more of an ordeal than expected, 16 stitches, a lot of bruising around the eye (the carcinoma was on the left temple).  I am glad it's over, but it took about 6 weeks to look

normal.  But the Dr.'s comment was, "it took a long time to heal..."

I hope you are continuting to improve.

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore   Thanks for the well wishes, Miss Kitty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment