Respected Contributor

Re: Maybe this Pandemic will wake us up to some things that need to change

@hckynut wrote:

@wismiss 

Unfortunately it isn't only medications. While factories closed in our country, many got rich, and they were not part of any company or corporation.

That's all I will say.

hckynut

Exactly - I wish people would finally wake up to that.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

OR......maybe it will wake us up and we will all realize that the planet is interdependent and we need to value other nations as allies. We should develop relationships with other nations and quit acting like we are a big island that owns the world. We need each other.

@ Well that was the mantra for the past several years - and here we are.

Respected Contributor

Some peoples dream of unregulated commerce and cheap Chinese labor will have to be re examined. If your life literally depends on certain medications, China is the last place they should be made.

This only proves even more that a global economy only works for certain things. When it comes to necessities, we have to have things produced locally.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I said in my original post, we need to cut our dependency on other countries for "life-sustaining products."    I'm not talking about curtain rods, wind chimes, or such articles and I'm not endorsing isolationism and withdrawing from a global economy.  That isn't realistic.  The majority of medications manufactured in the USA are brand names and not generics.  Insurance companies switch people to generics rather than having to pay the price of brand name medications.   I take 12 prescriptions a day and I hope I never go to the counter at the pharmacy and they tell me that they don't have my prescription(s) and don't know when it will be available.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

This reminds me of something I experienced recently related to the injuries from my fall.

Doc ordered prescription (cream / pain med) from a compounding pharmacy for me and mentioned that my insurance may not authorize because one of the ingredients was not US made, but doc believed the "foreign" ingredient was better than the similar US in my situation.  Doc said it was up to me whether I wanted to try the med.  That in any event, pain would eventually subside.  This was a Wednesday morning.

Late afternoon on Friday, pharmacy called me and explained the ins. didn't cover the meds, and asked me if I wanted to go ahead and pay for it .... by this time, the need for the pain med no longer existed and I told pharmacy to forget about it.  By late Friday - Tylenol was dealing with the pain!

Interesting that ins. didn't cover the foreign ingredient - but don't know which "foreign" country made the ingredient.

--------------------------------------------------------

@wismiss wrote:

Such as 90%-92% of our generic medication is produced in a foreign country.  

Maybe we need to bring back manufacturing jobs to the United States so we aren't dependent upon another country, especially for the manufacture of life-sustaining products.  

We may have to pay more for some products, but in the long run that may be what is best for us as a country.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

OR......maybe it will wake us up and we will all realize that the planet is interdependent and we need to value other nations as allies. We should develop relationships with other nations and quit acting like we are a big island that owns the world. We need each other.

@Goldengate8361 :  China is not our ally.  We do have allies in the world.

Honored Contributor

China does not value life the way we do. I don't trust their government or business practices. 

Honored Contributor

I'm telling you, if we really invest in robotics for manufacturing, we can compete with any country in the world. Robots just need to be maintained really well, they don't need labor laws.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is a nice thought to bring back production, etc. to our country. The question is would the majority of the American people be willing to pay more. A study was done several years ago asking the question would you buy USA made if it cost more. The response was "No". I am not a fan of polls but tend to think this poll might be accurate.

Respected Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

It is a nice thought to bring back production, etc. to our country. The question is would the majority of the American people be willing to pay more. A study was done several years ago asking the question would you buy USA made if it cost more. The response was "No". I am not a fan of polls but tend to think this poll might be accurate.

yes, a lot of the shift overseas was an attempt to bring prices down. the earliest i remember it was with the importing of Japanese cars way back when.