Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maybe We Should Stop Giving Advice?

There is nothing wrong with giving advice when asked for. It is UNSOLICITED advice that presents a problem. It does not matter if it is on a forum. Adults have the right and freedom to do as they please, as long as they are willing to accept the consequences.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter if the poster asks for advice or not.  Even if they specify that they are not asking for advice, there always seem to be posters who respond with, "I know you aren't asking for advice, BUT (blah blah blah)"

Bottom line is that we cannot control how others post.  So give it up.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Posters come here and they specifically ask for advice.  Even if they don't ask for advice, they are posting something and I really don't think people should just ignore them or say something meaningless  "I am sorry to hear that".  People who contribute to a board like this do it because they want a conversation and they are free to accept or not accept or ignore anything they don't like.   

Honored Contributor

Just recently I have decided I am not going to give any "personal" advise and I quit giving any medical advise a long time ago.  They are both dangerous.  Also, I am suspicious of a couple of posters here that in my opinion are not what they seem. 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I have seen threads here where someone has an altercation with their husband or child and they are advised to cut them off and never see them again. The Wellness forum people are advised that if they are sick it’s because of how they eat...and of course eat their way and all your illnesses will resolve. 

Needless to say, taking advice here is at your own risk...

Honored Contributor

If a poster elicits advice, I see no reason we can't offer advice. The poster is free to take or ignore the advice, it's up to them.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy    Geeeez. It wasn't my thread and I wasn't asking or needing advice. Some was given anyway. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Maybe some people feel alone & have no one in their lives to turn to.So they turn to us.We should always be kind & if necessary encourage those people to seek professional help like most of us on this forum do.

Those people who make unkind remarks should consider not responding at all.You don't know who you're really dealing with.If you say something nasty to someone who's on the edge you may just push them over.

@NicksmomESQ ... I pretty much agree with what you said, however, the people who respond with nasty remarks do not see themselves as nasty, that's the sad part.

@Lindsays Grandma   I see nothing wrong if we point out (to a poster), in the nicest way possible, that their comment was not helpful or hurtful. 

@Shanus   I agree with you and from time to time I have done just that.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

Stop giving advice here?  Never going to happen.  Many well meaning posters here.  Some are quite knowledgeable but even they should temper their responses as they often offer advice beyond what was requested, being overly sure of their expertise be it health, beauty, or any of the subjects at hand.  They often assume the poster knows very little.  Sometimes someone asking for advice has heard it all before but is looking for another way, a way to avoid the obvious or just wishing someone would hear their feelings of frustration.

Honored Contributor

I think almost all advice has some merit and I like to consider what everyone says when making a decision.I have heard things here about myself that surprised me but gave me pause to think about.After all most of us feel that we are good,caring people who have the best intentions but there is always room for a new way .Not that my mind will be changed but I might approach a situation differently with potentially a happier outcome.