Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maybe We Should Stop Giving Advice?

[ Edited ]

Perhaps posters should cease gossiping about one another. Parts of this thread have turned hurtful and ugly.  

Do most posters keep track of everything about others? I don't. Nor do I have a clue about posters family members or their lives or even what state most people live. I have nothing written down about anyone. Why would anyone care on a shopping channel chat room?

This is simply a place to stop in and read through posts. If something catches my eye, I'll comment. Most threads I scroll past.  

From some comments, it appears some people are stalking other posters. How creepy and unkind. Makes me wonder how this forum ever survived with phone numbers and other ID's available (IDK, but have read posts about previous years). That's scarey since so many of you spend so much of your time on here and share a lot of detail of your lives.  

Please, thank you and I'm sorry are useful words on this forum. Hopefully, they are not met with criticism or snarky rebuttals. Kind communication is the only way these boards will survive. Gossip speaks volumes about the person uttering those vile words.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I don't think we should stop giving advice....especially if it's being asked for. Giving it with respect and consideration for the person who is asking is showing good will toward your fellow posters.  Nothing wrong with that!  We can't possibly understand where some posters are coming from because we haven't walked a mile in their shoes.  What we can do is listen and encourage. If it becomes a frustration to us we can ignore the post.  In fact if you are totally frustrated with someone you probably should ignore their post.   

Honored Contributor

I think most of us use this board for entertainment, but for some people, this board is an absolute lifeline to the outside world.   Anyone reaching out for help needs guidance from someone with firsthand experience, and a full understanding of reading between the lines.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop  has been wonderful, patient and kind. she takes considerable time and effort to explain things , and to make it as simple and understandable as possible

We are all put on this earth to give others in need a helping hand. @RedTop  does this . We are fortunate she is posting here. She has been a lifeline to this troubled soul

If I ever find myself in a similar situation I hope I encounter someone like @RedTop ..Thank you for all you do

Honored Contributor

@cherry,

Thank you for your kind words, and for understanding my sincerity, which comes thru the fact I am living this every single day with my own loved one.   I fill in the blanks and know those hidden meanings all too well.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I think most of us use this board for entertainment, but for some people, this board is an absolute lifeline to the outside world.   Anyone reaching out for help needs guidance from someone with firsthand experience, and a full understanding of reading between the lines.

@RedTop That's what worries me sometimes.  We get asked for advice a lot.  Then there are those things that seem to go beyond what you would expect.  People who come here time and time again with problems you can tell are real and severe.  

I think maybe it would be good to be more thoughtful sometimes about what someone is asking and think about what a response could mean to them.  Maybe be a little more careful as Red Top says. 

Respected Contributor

@cherry 

It would be worse for her, if everyone gave her a cold shoulder. We are a candle in her darkness, and I refuse to blow that out. She would even be more alone than she is now

@cherry 

You posted those words and thoughts in post 38.

I believe they are so compelling and true.

Fellowship and compassion felt towards another is kindness, it was beautifully said.

Many of us need to feel we are not alone, and some more than others.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I have received really good advice here.  I don't ask very personal things, but for info, directions, etc.  i have asked for things to do in places Iintend  to visit for one.  Wow,!  I get so many answers, who needs a travel guide.  With so many people posting from every state in the US, I always get a well rounded plethora of info and ideas.

Honored Contributor

? Why should anyone posting here cease offering their opinion?

Honored Contributor

If someone comes here and asks for advice that is one thing. However, there are a number of times that someone will ask a question and instead of answering the question an unsolicited lecture comes about how if they eat one particular way that they will no longer be sick. Essentially, they are told that they "choose" to be sick. Choice is the common denominator in all these threads. People are essentially blamed for being sick.

Thread after thread is removed because of this. The poster goes their merry way until the next time it happens. Rinse Repeat.