Regular Contributor

Why are maxi dresses so popular? I always have heard that the length of the dresses could be related to our country's financial situation.  Could there be a coorelation between the maxi dresses and our financial situation?

Super Contributor

Re: Maxi Dresses

[ Edited ]

Our financial situation was great until the CV hit.  It seems impossible to find a lightweight pretty summer dress in a cotton or other cool fabric that's not either up to your who-ha or down to your ankles.  Everything today seems to be knits, knits, knits and t-shirts.  Ugh.

I live in hot, humid Central Florida and I can't even stand to wear t-shirts.  Way too hot.  Like weariing a blanket.  I don't know how people stand them.

Honored Contributor
I haven’t worn a maxi dress since the 70s when I lived / worked in a suburban area in CA.

Just not practical living in the city with dusty sidewalks and mass transit.
Honored Contributor

I don't see the maxi dresses like I used to see.  I like to wear skirts and dresses above the knee.  The way the tall models on QVC wear them. Main reason I don't shop their clothes.  They may be short on the model but when you get them....too long and too dowdy.

Honored Contributor

Most knit fabric, for example polyester, is a by product from the petro industry. Polyester is cheap to make, readily available and doesn't get affected by climate change. 

Hemlines come down when countries are not in a crisis, for instance, at war. Might have something to do with conserving resources when hemlines go up, as in wartime.

Honored Contributor

Can't speak to the fabric or comfort of the TSV, but I think the navy set is beautiful. If I were young, and built for that style, I'd love to wear maxi dresses.

Honored Contributor

I feel like a "school marm" in a maxi dress.  I prefer a "midi" mid calf length.  And living in a city, they are just not practical, IMO.

Respected Contributor

I'm not a huge fan of maxi dresses, but I like to wear them when I'm relaxing around the house. They really come in handy when I've forgotten to shave my legs! 😉

Respected Contributor

@I am appleblossom   I can give several reasons why they are so popular.

• you feel your legs are not that attractive and don't want to show them
  • don't have to shave your legs - just throw the dress on and go
  • can easily bend over without worrying about showing everything
  • can somewhat hide ugly shoes if long enough
  • gives a longer leaner look
  • don't blow up in a heavy wind

Personally, I rarely wear dresses, but when I do, they are always maxi dresses.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I like nice maxis but I LOVE great midi lengths instead. I'm only 5'4", even Renee's petites are ankle length on me. I'd love to see her do some really nice midis.

While I can find 1/2 of the duos that she offers, the prints it seems are always in tropicals which for me in my area of the country (OH) I could and would wear only during the summer. I wish she'd do some small florals or petite stripes. I am really glad to see that the cold shoulder look hopefully has gone by the wayside not only for her but other designers that show here too.