Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@wakefield64   I have ordered three cloth three-ply masks from Etsy.  I haven't received them yet but got notice that one has shipped.  I'm really not going anywhere that I have to get out of my car though, but will still be glad to have them.

Thanks, NickNick!
Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

CDC is recommending that we wear masks. Can anyone tell me where I can get one? They are on backorder on Amazon and CVS etc. do not have them? I went grocery shopping for essentials today and would say half of the people were wearing them. I live in the Northeast and want to stay safe.

There is a video on youtube that shows how to make a mask out of an bandana, very quick and easy.  There is also one of using a paper towel.  People are being very creative.  I have a wide cotton head band with the elastic in the back I put the widest part of the headband to cover my nose and mouth down to my chin.   It works.  Hope this will help youSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

I would consider wearing a cotton bandanna or cotton dish towel over your mouth and nose.

something that is cotton polyester might be too hot when you wear it 

Thanks for the suggestion. Stay safe!

Trusted Contributor

my husband is really handy with a sewing machine and he's made a couple of cotton ones - reusable & washable. definitely something i could sell on etsy but he won't make more. lol! we have the regular ones too and the ones for dust. 

Respected Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

CDC is recommending that we wear masks. Can anyone tell me where I can get one? They are on backorder on Amazon and CVS etc. do not have them? I went grocery shopping for essentials today and would say half of the people were wearing them. I live in the Northeast and want to stay safe.

Masks are not for keeping you safe. They're for keeping the people around you safe. If you're an asymptomatic carrier, a mask will help prevent your germs from reaching people around you when you're out.

So that bandanna or cute number you're getting on etsy won't protect you. It's important to remember this because if you do, you'll be more likely to keep the need for social distancing top of mind.

Regular Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@wakefield64 - I ordered a few handmade  masks on Etsy. Not the same thing as the medical grade masks of course, but at least it will be something to cover my nose and face and I won't look out of place by not wearing one. 

My masks aren't here yet so I am still maskless.

I did the same thing.

Honored Contributor

I have two order in at Etsy from two different sellers. BTW, stay away from polyester. One of my orders was for a triple-layered cotton mask for me. Then my husband asked why I didn't order for him. So I placed a second order with another seller for three masks that are double cotton but with flannel in between, which is supposed to be a good thing. The second order has ties instead of the elastic.

I hope this shuts up my husband, whom I love dearly. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

On Friday night, I found a pattern on the internet for making a cloth face mask.  It said 10 minutes.  I made one in 30 minutes and I used cloth dinner napkins for my DH and a cotton fabric for mine.  They have pleats and elastic ear straps.  Very comfy and adjustable.  I made two more yesterday and two more today.  Now he has three & I have two.  I am out of elastic and I am not going to buy more.  Not interested in making 100,000 & selling them.

Trusted Contributor

@wakefield64  I too am in the Northeast. 

My friend is ordering some for me that are handmade and reusable........I will wash them first and sanitize before using.

They are being made in the next town ~ the person had posted on Facebook.