Respected Contributor

@Sooner...I am so very sorry for your loss.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

This just reenforces my strong belief that drunk driving laws need to be much stronger and severe.

Too many states give drunken drivers too many chances before they get serious punishments.

IMO, the very 1st offense should get their license suspended and time in jail.  After that, any more offenses should be felonies with long prison terms.   At minimum, they are attempted murderers using their intoxicated use of a car as a lethal weapon. 

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Sooner...I am so very sorry for your loss.

Thank you.  It was years ago, but I think so often about what that text was.  And someone died for it.  It just breaks my heart.  What a simple thing to NOT do to save a life.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner...unfortunately, it still goes on every day. It scares me to no end when I am driving and see someone on my bumper looking down at their cell phone and texting instead of paying attention to driving. Smiley Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mary Beth Roe Concerned

[ Edited ]

I fear with pot being legal where I live, that there is going to be even more incidents of driving under the influence.....police have already reported more stops finding stoned on pot drivers.

Honored Contributor

I think air bags deflate quickly, so if you are in a chain reaction wreck, you could get hit after the airbag is deflated. . . 

Regular Contributor

I thought she retired because I haven't seen her presenting in so long!  She must work the day hours or part time now.

That's terrible news about her accident and I'm glad to she is doing much better and returning! 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner, I too am very sorry for your very significant loss. That is one of the saddest stories I have ever read. I am glad your Mom is doing well though. 

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize her accident was that serious.  It's a lesson on how your life can be upended in a second. A teen texting rear ended the car behind me and that car slammed into me a year ago.  Lot of car damage but no one hurt.  The kid was still texting when his Dad arrived at the scene. I would've thrown that kids phone as far and hard as I could if I were his Dad.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I fear with pot being legal where I live, that there is going to be even more incidents of driving under the influence.....police have already reported more stops finding stoned on pot drivers.

I'm surprised to see anyone post this about the legalization of pot.

It is not a politically correct or popular viewpoint.

But I agree one thousand percent.

I get chastised regularly when the topic comes up and told it is much less impairing than alcohol (and I'm no fan of that either) etc. etc. etc. 

But I do believe it is just another invitation to increase the bloodbath our highways and roads are becoming as people are now driving not only drunk, but high, and texting/using their electronic devices. 

I think the long term effects of legalized marijuana will be much more eye opening  and health/financial/socially damaging than most people can imagine it will be.