Super Contributor

Things to see & do: Charleston & Savannah

[ Edited ]

Am planning a solo road trip next week, spending at least a few days in each city.

I'm looking for some great suggestions for things to see and do, and noteworthy restaurants to visit, to make this a very memorable trip.  Time is flexible.

I'm up for organized tours and other touristy stuff, but am very open to unique, hidden finds and adventures.

Of course, I've done some of my own research, but nothing beats the recommendations of residents and other travelers.

Thanks so much!

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Things to see & do: Charleston & Savannah

Start with the carriage rides in each city.  I love the ghost tour.  So many great restaurants in both places!

Occasional Contributor

Hank's in Charleston is wonderful. Was there in January and also went to the Drawing Room. I recommend the market. A couple of us did a walking tour, which was very interesting. Leave some time to go to the Battery and just enjoy the view. Have a great time and stay safe and aware of your surroundings.

Occasional Contributor

Also ghost tours are fun in Charleston and Savannah. Leave time to explore on your own too.

Trusted Contributor

My sisters and I did this trip 3 or 4 years ago and we had so much fun!  I recommend the Historic Savannah Theatre.  The actors were very professional and entertaining.  Now playing is Rewind - a look at 40 years of top 40 songs.  We also did the ghost carriage ride in Savannah at dusk.  Both cities are so charming and historic.  Enjoy your vacation! 

Occasional Contributor

Forgot to mention, there are some rooftop bars in Charleston. Definitely try those for the view. Interesting architecture and history in both cities. Enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

I do love any walking tour and carriage rides. There are so many wonderful restaurants, I couldn't begin to recommend! Just have fun trying many. Also, prepare for the heat and humidity. It's rough but I'm sure you're aware. Have fun. Two of my favorite cities! Safe travels.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

About 15 miles northwest of Charleston is a plantation home called Drayton Hall.  The interior moldings are gorgeous and the staff does a great job explaining and recreating plantation life.  Magnolia Plantation is also beautiful.  These homes were owned by the same family--Drayton Hall was built by one of the sons from Magnolia.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're so lucky to be visiting two of my favorite cities.  Another vote for Drayton Hall and Magnolia Plantation.  Both cities have wonderful house museums.  Spend some time just walking and seeing the houses, gardens, etc.  Savannah used to have a summer theater in one of the historic squares, not sure if it still does.  A trip to the beach is nice if you have transportation.  Have you read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil?

Forgot to mention the home of Julia Gordon Lowe, founder of Girl Scouts.

Honored Contributor

Charleston: lunch SNOB--open some days for lunch, also for dinner food is very good atmosphere is neat!  Sunday Brunch, jazz brunch at High Cotton.  MUST: Tour Edmondston Alston House and Nathaniel Russell House, in lower end of historic district.  You can probably walk from one to one, walk along seawall there, battery park and Rainbow Row.  Check out Church Street down at that end--CHARMING! 

Savannah Bee on King Street for all things honey; don't spend a lot of time at the Market--mostly touristy stuff although some nice indoor shops.  MUST GET bennie seed wafers--they are addictive. 

Hominy Grill for down-home low key dining.  Magnoilas is very good for an upscale meal--the pecan pie is wonderful. Loads of art calleries near the East Bay and Broad Street areas where the restaurants are.  ALSO there is a ittle known but neat tour of City Hall on Meeting Street not far from Broad Street.  Lots of museums and historic homes besides the two I mentioned (BUT EA and NR are spectacular!)

If you go out to Middleton Plantation, which is most certainly worth the time and they have a very nice restaurant for lunch -- it is next to Drayton Hall) you can get combo tickets for Eamondston Alston House AND the Middleton gardens and house (check it out on their website).  You used to get a lovely rice spoon with the deal--don't know if that still holds or not.

Savannah is nice, but scary.  Like New Orleans, be careful where you go!  Don't stray off the beaten paths for tourists.