Honored Contributor

Re: March Bird's Nest - Welcome the first signs of Spring

On 3/14/2015 mousiegirl said:

I see this each morning in my mirror!!! ROFL

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Lovestoteach, you aren't the only one. Sometimes I look like this too (lol).

Image result for hoatzin

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 lovestoteach said:
On 3/14/2015 mousiegirl said:

I see this each morning in my mirror!!! ROFL

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I don't look this good in the morning, lol.

Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Bird mama said:

Update on Rescue Pigeon (RP).

RP continued to eat and drink water and rest through Saturday. By 6:30 Saturday evening, RP was hopping up the storage ottoman (mine is brown) that I used to store my purses.

Faux Leather and Wood Storage Ottoman with Decorative Accents

RP looked at the window several times and I could tell he/she was thinking about the outside. I told RP that it was too late in the day to go outside and that no rehabber worth their salt would release a bird this late in the day. RP then flew to the baby gate and perched on it. I was on my hands and knees in the hall and stroked the bird's chest and said it was such an honor and pleasure to have it in my home.

Third night in a row that I didn't sleep that well. I think the aches and pains from that birthday party (great niece) at the pump up party place and thoughts about releasing RP kept me up.

I was up at 6 am and killed time until it was time to go upstairs. I played with Presto and Grayson (Poppi doesn't play) while RP ate and drank. I watched the sky for any signs of other pigeons.

Around 9:30 I saw about 8 pigeons sitting on a power line two houses down. I put Grayson in the main bedroom, removed the baby gate to the spare room and picked up RP. RP grunted a little and resisted and I kissed it's head and said, yep, I think you are ready.

I already had the family room door and storm door open. I placed RP on the floor and it walked over and stopped at the threshold. I sat on the sofa and said, it's a little chilly out there RP. You can go or you can stay, it's your choice. RP, walked out on the step and then flew gracefully up to the garage roof. The pigeons on the power line flew to the roof of my house (second story, garage is one story) and one pigeon landed near RP and did the whole cooing and posturing bit. The entire group of them took off together. By this time I was crying like a baby (what a twit I am).

It was so wonderful to see this bird be so confident and fly so strong. Three days ago I found it facing into a corner, looking downtrodden.

I am very happy today.

Job well done, Bird mama.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Pigeons. We have a bunch living in our old empty chicken coop. They are grubby, but I love them, and I love their cooing, and I LOVE watching them fly in a group. My son calls them the pooper squadron! <3

Hi Birding Friends, This weekend just flew by so fast. Tomorrow my 2 younger GSs go back to school as their spring break is over. At home my GDs have another week off. It was in the mid 80ies here today, in the shade onDS's patio. I am not ready for hot weather by any stretch, but then I never am as I love cold temps.

Birdmama, You did a wonderful job with your little rescued pigeon. That birdie is so lucky that you are the one who found it, cleaned it up and then gave it a new flock to fly with. I don't know that I could have let it go after having it and interacting with it as much as you did. Maybe it'll come back to see you. Any markings on it that would make it stand out for you? You are not a twit, for crying. I could sit here and start bawling, just thinking about how your emotions were 'feeling'. Does that make any sense, how do emotions feel??? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} I hope you see RP now and then.

Loves, My hair looked like that this morning when I got up. Even though it's short, it's curly and I washed it last night and went to bed with it wet,, so it did 'it's own thing'. I had to put my head in the shower and get it wet, then towel dry it and 'style' it with the towel. Actually towels do a better job than the comb, except for the very top.

Winifred, DDIL's washer is one of those computer water saving kinds too. We have to use HE detergents in it too. It has so many choices for loads and so many options for water temp., dirt levels, extra rinses, etc. I liked the old one better. I could have as much water in the tub as necessary. You can't watch the way this one agitates, because the door locks and you can't open it till the thing stops or unlocks. No peeks allowed!!!

Mousie, How long does DD get to be home for Spring Break? What a difference in climate change for her from Colorado to California, or is it that different if you are in the northern part of CA? I saw that Oceanside and San Diego were quite hot the past few days. DS said most people there don't have air conditioning. I know he didn't have it when he lived in Oceanside and then Carlsbad for a short time, before being stationed here at Central Command.

Puddles, Enjoy the cooler temps, if they materialize. I guess spring is in full bloom in Texas, even with the recent snow/ ice that my sister had. A lot of her plants are blooming and at home the crocuses are blooming, I guess the snowdrops too, but my brother never mentioned them. My pu++ssy willow tree should be full of catkins now too.

Guess I need to say Good Night and Sweet Dreams to all my Birding Friends. Have a nice Monday. Smile

Respected Contributor

Possum, that washer sounds just like the one I have. The most unfavorable thing to me is the locking door as I almost always drop something on the floor I do not see until I have started the washer. Takes an Act of Congress to unlock and reopen the door. Will say, however, I think it cleans better than any washer I have had. Also very hard to keep clean as I use the softener since I hang my clothes out on the line. Almost impossible to thoroughly clean it and it takes a long time to do it. It is a Maytag.

Need to fill the feeders AGAIN today - they have sure been cleaning me out. Another hot day on tap and then it is suppose to start cooling off again. Maybe even some more rain - we shall see. Am keeping my fingers crossed we do get some more of that wet stuff.

The kids kitties have been outside in their dog kennel cat condo for a few days. LOL. Sure works well for them and gives us some peace and quiet inside the house for a few hours. Been too cold to put them outside for several months. They are adorable kitties but can sure tear up the house as one especially finds anything loose and hauls it all over the house. They are something else.

Hope all have a very good day.

Honored Contributor

Here's a picture of RP from Saturday night.

Honored Contributor

Hi everyone! I woke up at 5:00, and couldn't go back to sleep so got up at 6:00. I may need a nap later. I have to take DD to the barn this morning as she will be riding today, Wednesday, and Friday, then goes back to college on Sunday, so only here for one week. I can't believe that there are only two more months of school.

Yesterday, she and DH went to SF to see an art exhibition for her visual arts class, and got home at around 5:00, just as I was taking the ham out of the oven. I prepared Easter dinner yesterday as DD won't be here. I kept it simple, Kirkland's ham, my potato salad, and a mandarin oranges, orange jello and orange sherbet mold. I never have jello around as I could just eat it until I bust, think it is the sweet tart that I find addictive, but it was yummy. I usually bake pineapple rings with ham, love them, but no one else does, so had to find something sweet to go with the ham. For dessert, a fabulous two layer carrot cake, I think I posted the recipe a few years ago when I discovered it, so we had plenty of sugar yesterday.

i discovered a great recipe in a book I bought at Costco quite a while ago. Winifred, you may want to try this for your eating machines, lol, how can kids eat so much. I can't post it as it is copyrighted, I tried, and couldn't copy it for pasting, so will give the name and you can read it. I doubled the recipe for leftovers. It is a very simple recipe, easy and quick, something I would never have considered making as I always fix my own taco recipes right down to frying the tortillas, but decided to try it as I wanted something simple. We all love them, lol. I made a few changes. I made my own salsa, and used pinto beans instead of the black beans, as I didn't have black beans on hand, but do love them. I used Taco Bell shells and any taco seasoning is fine. It is better to use a lean beef, I used a fatty ground beef and had to drain a small bowl of the fat from the pan. I like drippy tacos, but my family doesn't. Smiley Happy The recipe is Six Sisters Baked Tacos.

I bought a bag of Hostas and two of different colored Callas at Costco last week, so potted those over the weekend, and tomorrow, I am expecting Hostas from an on line company so will pot those. The weather has been very warm, but without much sun, just love this but it is rare, perfect gardening weather. I will also be potting the sedum that I bought from Cottage Farms until I can get them into their permanent homes. I also bought blackberry plants, may have mentioned this, and will keep them in pots. Cottage Farms said they have no thorns, that did it, and will grow in pots very nicely. I can't buy much this year due to the drought, and have to keep what I have alive, but couldn't resist a few things.

I am still debating whether or not to cancel the two Roberta's fig trees, as I already have one tree which gives me enough figs to eat daily for a month or so, and don't know if I need more.

The hundreds of Muscari I planted in pots are blooming wonderfully, so fragrant, just love them. Years ago, I purchased many tiny vases at Good Will, and they are perfect for tiny flower buds and the Muscari, have them in the window sill and elsewhere. My garden is full of fragrance, even DD noticed it. I tried to plant as many scented plants as possible throughout, but other than the Muscari and the Cecile Brunner roses, and some Salvia, nothing else is blooming now. Maybe someone has Jasmine. I have many along the driveway, but they aren't blooming yet.

Possumm - you mentioned your banana plants. I always marvel that you lug those huge plants in and out every year. I know I couldn't be bothered with such a huge task every year. anything I plant here has to be tough and come back year after year, all on their own, no help from me except watering and pruning. I am going to feed my year old roses this year to see if they will grow more, not the best soil for them. I will be feeding the Hydrangeas soon as I want as many purple/blue plants as possible, and the soil here is alkaline, good for pink, but not the blue.

Tomorrow, we will have corned beef and the usual veges. I may roast the veges instead of putting them in the pot after the beef is cooked, will see what I am in the mood for. I have rye bread for sandwiches between the corned beef and ham, though we don't eat sandwiches often, except on Saturday DH takes one to work. He loves them, but I only fix them once in a while, may do it more often when the months get very hot.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2015 Bird mama said:

Here's a picture of RP from Saturday night.

Adorable!

Honored Contributor

Hello all - we're expecting 60 degree weather today - woo hoo. I will be cleaning up old seed and husks off of the patio that had been covered with snow. I saw some feathers under the pine trees near the back of the yard that need to be rakes up. Clearly the hawk had a meal sometime during the winter. {#emotions_dlg.unsure} I'm thinking of hooking up the garden hose and hand washing both cars in the driveway. The Camaro is dusty more than anything while the Versa is cruddy, plain and simple.

Possummink and Mousie - I won't be surprised if I see RP in the garage one day downtown. Right now, RP is really, really clean, so I would be able to spot it this week for sure. I think if RP sees me, I'll know because he/she will run in the other direction, cooing, bath lady, bath lady (lol).

Mousie, your garden and flowers sound so lovely. My yard is basically green, every where.

Winifred, I have a regular old washer. I don't know if I would want one that is high efficiency.