Honored Contributor

Re: March Bird's Nest - Welcome the first signs of Spring

Possummink - Yes, the bird-off is still around the favorite perching places in the garage. I think they focused more on the 5th-7th floors.

I read that the geranium oil base in the gel is not poisonous and that it just tastes bad {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} and smells bad. Okay, newsflash - sparrows, starlings and pigeons don't have sharp sense of smell.

I looked at some more sites since the dish detergent didn't have that much impact yesterday and I was a bit leery about the Dawn. Dawn is good for oil spills, I had an oil based STICKY substance to fight. I learned that vegetable oil should be applied gently to the feathers along the grain so to speak (the same direction they grow). I bought cotton pads, a large bottle of Crisco vegetable oil and Dawn (with the pic of a duck on it).

Around 3:00 pm, I let rescue pigeon (RP) cruise the downstairs (Grayson was upstairs). We watched a little Ghost Whisperer on ION TV and I prepped a Dawn bath. I then applied generous amounts of Crisco along the wing and the 'stuff' rolled right off. I let the oil sit on the bird's feathers for about 5 minutes, then swished 'RP' in the Dawn.

For now, 'RP" is covered with a small towel, sitting on a towel in a laundry basket that is resting on a heating pad. RP is half asleep and drying thoroughly out. Bird is not stressed at all.

I'll let RP out in his/her room for a couple of hours to make sure RP eats good and drinks water before settling him/her for the night.

I think tomorrow that bird will want to fly away home. It feels good and right to me. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Holy Mackeral!!! I forgot to post the bird of the day for Friday!

Superb Fairy Wren (no I am not kidding - that is the name)

Image result for superb fairy wren

Bonus Bird (since I am late) - Purple Crowned Fairy Wren

Image result for purple crowned fairy wren

Honored Contributor

oops - posted something to wrong thread

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness, can you imagine having a sink full of ducklings? I would be in heaven.

Honored Contributor

The bird for the weekend is the Lyrebird

Image result for lyrebird

Image result for lyrebird

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the tips on getting rid of makeup on colored towels. Got MOST of it out but the towel was a gorgeous sand colored towel - very expensive set and they are mostly shot through the latter years. I did not use Chlorox but did use oxyclean - since my washer is computerized, etc can only use HE detergents and hate to say it but do not like Tide - it is horribly rough on things; Plus it costs an arm and a leg. I use Gain - love it - use to onlyh use Arm and Hammer but cannot find it in HE and for a zillion years, used Shaklee - that is the best ever for protecting and cleaning . Cannot find it in HE either. ahhhhhh, progress.

Very hot today - ran all over everywhere - but got a lot of things done.

Am tired so need to get moving on some finishing touches. LOL.

Hope all had a marvelous day and same for tomorrow - we will be in the 90s. Not ready for that.

Honored Contributor

Update on Rescue Pigeon (RP).

RP continued to eat and drink water and rest through Saturday. By 6:30 Saturday evening, RP was hopping up the storage ottoman (mine is brown) that I used to store my purses.

Faux Leather and Wood Storage Ottoman with Decorative Accents

RP looked at the window several times and I could tell he/she was thinking about the outside. I told RP that it was too late in the day to go outside and that no rehabber worth their salt would release a bird this late in the day. RP then flew to the baby gate and perched on it. I was on my hands and knees in the hall and stroked the bird's chest and said it was such an honor and pleasure to have it in my home.

Third night in a row that I didn't sleep that well. I think the aches and pains from that birthday party (great niece) at the pump up party place and thoughts about releasing RP kept me up.

I was up at 6 am and killed time until it was time to go upstairs. I played with Presto and Grayson (Poppi doesn't play) while RP ate and drank. I watched the sky for any signs of other pigeons.

Around 9:30 I saw about 8 pigeons sitting on a power line two houses down. I put Grayson in the main bedroom, removed the baby gate to the spare room and picked up RP. RP grunted a little and resisted and I kissed it's head and said, yep, I think you are ready.

I already had the family room door and storm door open. I placed RP on the floor and it walked over and stopped at the threshold. I sat on the sofa and said, it's a little chilly out there RP. You can go or you can stay, it's your choice. RP, walked out on the step and then flew gracefully up to the garage roof. The pigeons on the power line flew to the roof of my house (second story, garage is one story) and one pigeon landed near RP and did the whole cooing and posturing bit. The entire group of them took off together. By this time I was crying like a baby (what a twit I am).

It was so wonderful to see this bird be so confident and fly so strong. Three days ago I found it facing into a corner, looking downtrodden.

I am very happy today.

Honored Contributor

Oh, bird mama... only a good mama like you could have been so proud of Rescue Pigeon and how you helped him to be independent again... I think I am going to cry, too... : )

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~